Light plays an important role in our lives. They allow us to see in the dark. We normally don’t appreciate the role it plays until it’s gone. That’s where survival lighting, including candles, flashlights, lamps and more can come in.
However, its importance comes to light, pun intended, when we are facing a survival situation. These situations normally emerge right after a natural disaster or calamity when the power goes out. But, lucky for us there are several sources of light we can rely on during emergency situations.
Top 10 Survival Lighting Options to Consider
If you’re unaware of these light sources, no worries since we came up with a survival lighting guide you can refer to. Check out these sources of light below
Topping this light of emergency light sources are candles. When the lights go out, all you need is a candle and matches. So, you should keep a couple of candles together with some matches handy in the house.
You don’t have to worry about any expiry date since they have an unlimited shelf life. You can also have a candle or two in the car or your emergency kit or bug-out bag.
But, one thing to remember about candles is that they can be fire hazards. So, you better make sure there’s nothing flammable close to the candle before you light it. And never leave a lighted candle unattended.
If you have no idea about the candles you can use in an emergency, you can consider getting the following options.
SE 3-Wick Emergency Candle
- Soy wax top layer, palm wax bottom layer
- Aluminum reusable tin packaging
- 36-hour burn time
- 2.75 x 3.13 x 2.75 inches
- Lightweight (3.6 oz.)
The SE 3-Wick Emergency Candle is a three-wick emergency candle with a burn time of 36 hours. This means it can last a long time. Its soy wax top and palm wax bottom are placed inside a reusable aluminum tin package. This makes it a top pick for survival lighting.
- Self-extinguishes when the flame reaches the clip
- This candle will burn up to 80 hours
- Made out of 100-percent beeswax
- Metal copper tone stand with a sleek, elegant wick holder
- Unique design that is both rustic and innovative
The Vertical Candle from Candle by the Hour is a 100-percent beeswax candle that neutralizes pollutants in the air. Its 70-hour burn time means you can use it for a very long time. It also features a metal copper stand and an elegant wick holder.
#2: Glow Sticks
Glow sticks made it to the list since it takes away any anxiety your kids may have during a power outage. You can give these glow sticks to them so they have something to carry around in the dark. They are affordable, fun, and long-lasting.
You can also put them in the corners of the house for ambient lighting. You also have the option of getting glow necklaces or bracelets your kids can wear in the house. There are some glow sticks that can provide enough light for you to read a book. They’re the perfect choice for survival lights, especially for kids to make a power outage a bit more fun.
Lumistick Emergency Glow Sticks
- ➠ 12 PACK OF 6 INCH BLUE EMERGENCY GLOW STICKS: You will receive Glow Sticks 12 Piece, all...
- ➠ HOOK ON TOP AND FLAT BOTTOM: Our Glow Sticks Contain hanging hooks on one end and bottom steps...
- ➠ HIGH INTENSITY LIGHT FOR UP TO 12 HOURS: Upon activation, the high-intensity light from these...
- ➠ IDEAL GIFT: Fresh out of the factory, these powerful glowsticks have a shelf life of at least...
- ➠ SAFE AND NON-TOXIC: Safety is also one of our main concerns, which is why we use of non-toxic...
The Lumistick Emergency Glow Sticks are six-inch emergency glow sticks that provide high-intensity light for 12 hours. It features a hook on top and a flat bottom to make it easier to hang or place on a flat surface. Each purchase gives you 12 pieces of these glow sticks.
Cyalume SnapLight Yellow Glow Sticks
- MADE IN THE USA UNDER STRICT QUALITY GUIDELINES to ensure each light stick works without issue - ....
- PATENTED, LONG-LASTING FORMULATIONS provide high light output for up to 12 hours at a time to help...
- INDUSTRIAL-GRADE STICK CONSTRUCTION provides a level of durability not found in competitor light...
- WATER-PROOF, NON-FLAMMABLE, NON-TOXIC CHEMISTRY means SnapLight is as safe as it is durable. Perfect...
The Cyalume SnapLight Yellow Glow Sticks provides you light in an emergency for up to 12 hours. Each industrial-grade glow stick has a shelf life of up to five years. They are durable and safe for use in confined spaces or underwater.
#3: Battery-Powered Flashlight
A list of emergency light sources is never complete without a battery-powered flashlight. They are the go-to light source of just about anybody. You should have one in your car, your bug-out bag, and in every room in the house.
But, you should make sure to check the batteries every once in a while since they get drained over time. You should also have an extra set of batteries handy just in case the ones in your flashlight are drained.
Flashlights come in different shapes and sizes. They also come with different types of bulbs. Whichever type you choose depends on your preference and your budget.
You can consider the following flashlights for your home:
Dorcy Waterproof LED Flashlight
- Rugged design is impact resistant and will float if dropped in water
- Contains (4) super bright LED bulbs that provides 55-lumens of light output
- Long lasting 8 hours and 45 minutes of run time.
- Built-in tail cap carabineer clip that allows you easily attach the flashlight to your belt or back...
- 3 AA Batteries included so this flashlight is ready to go when camping, hiking, home safety or...
The Dorcy Waterproof LED Flashlight is an impact-resistant flashlight that floats when dropped into water. It features four LED bulbs offering a light output of 55 lumens. This flashlight also comes with three AA batteries.
Energizer LED Flashlight
- [ENERGIZER POWER]: This mini LED flashlight runs on 1 Energizer MAX AA Battery (BATTERY INCLUDED) -...
- [COMPACT & PORTABLE]: This pocket-sized flashlight literally fits in the palm of your hand. It's...
- [BRIGHT, WHITE LUMENS]: This LED light delivers up to 75 lumens of bright light, 10X brighter than...
- [HANDS-FREE DESIGN]: Super-strong magnet, pivoting metal clip, and built-in lanyard loop give you...
- [VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE]: Tough body withstands drop after drop from as high as 2 stories...
Another option is the Energizer LED Flashlight. It is a compact and portable flashlight that is designed to provide a light output of 75 lumens. The flashlight is also so durable that it can withstand seven-meter drops.
DIY Emergency Light Options
#4: Rechargeable Flashlight for Survival Lighting
If you’re not keen on buying loads of batteries for your flashlight, you can opt to get a rechargeable flashlight. These flashlights feature a dynamo that can be charged using a hand crank. The power produced is stored in a battery inside the device.
You don’t have to worry about not having extra batteries at home with these flashlights. But, one drawback is it does not hold enough power to allow the light to last as long as battery-powered flashlights.
But, there are some models that can be charged like a mobile phone. You simply have to connect the flashlight to a charger and wait for it to top up its power. This makes it the perfect choice if you have a generator at your house.
We found some rechargeable flashlights you may want to consider getting for your home.
Energizer Rechargeable Crank Light
- 3 bright white Nichia LEDs provide strong illumination
- Handy carabiner clip makes it easy to hang and remove light
- Rechargeable system never needs batteries as they gain Kinetic energy from cranking
- Lifetime LED never needs replacing
- 1 Minute of cranking provides 3 minutes of light
The Energizer Rechargeable Crank Light gets its power from the kinetic energy you produce through cranking. One minute of cranking powers the three LEDs for three minutes. So, if you want some exercise, you can opt to get this flashlight as a backup.
CSNDICE Rechargeable Spot light
- ADJUSTABLE BRIGHTNESS & LONG LIGHTING DISTANCE : This soptlight source is CREE LED ,6000...
- HIGH QUENITY MATERIAL & Waterproof: This flashlight is made of high intensity engineering ABS...
- LARGE CAPACITY BATTERY & EMERGENCY POWER BANK :This searchlight has large capacity battery,up to...
- EASY TO HOLD AND CARRY DESIGN:This work light has comfortable handle and comes with adjustable...
- One-Year Warranty : We are so confident you will love CSNDICE camping lantern that we offer money...
The CSNDICE Rechargeable Spot light features a large-capacity rechargeable battery built into its durable, waterproof body. It can give you up to 20 hours of light through its 6,000-lumen LED. Moreover, you can use this flashlight as a power bank for your other mobile devices.
#5: Solar Flashlights
Battery-powered flashlights require a good supply of batteries and rechargeable flashlights require some degree of effort to power them. But, solar flashlights only require energy from the sun to become fully charged.
While they may require a rechargeable battery, that’s the only thing you need for the flashlight aside from charging them under the sun. These devices also offer other methods of charging in case the sun is not peeking out from behind the clouds.
What’s more, they also offer additional features that you may not find in any ordinary flashlight. Check out the following solar flashlights we found for you.
Solar Flashlight and Emergency Light
- SPURTAR Solar Powered Flashlight with 7 working modes designed for your different needs. A must have...
- Rechargeable Flashlight For Emergencies: This solar flashlight has a built-in 2000mAh 18650 battery,...
- EMERGENCY TOOL: Spurtar tactical flashlights for emergencies can be used as car emergency escape...
- 7 Modes Solar Flashlights: Headlight 4-6hrs - High, Medium and Flashing | Side White Lamp (4-7hrs) -...
- POWER MAGNET Flashlight: With a powerful magnet on the side of the Solar Power LED Flashlight head,...
The Solar Flashlight and Emergency Light from Spurtar features a 2,000-mAH built-in battery that can be charged through solar power. You can also use it as an emergency escape tool through its seat beat knife or break windows with its built-in hammer. Moreover, you can attach it to the side of a car using its powerful magnet.
TQ Solar Flashlight
Aside from charging under the sun, the TQ Solar Flashlight has a hand crank that you can use to give it power. Its two modes allow it to be used as a flashlight and a table lamp. Additionally, it also features an alarm and an FM radio which makes it great not as survival lighting but as a way to get information during a natural disaster like a tornado.
In particular, if you’re into urban prepping, this one might be a nice choice for you.
#6: Battery-Powered Lamp
Aside from the flashlights, you can also opt to get a battery-powered lamp to provide light in emergency situations. While these lamps may require a lot of batteries, they provide a good amount of light to ensure you won’t be groping in the dark during a blackout.
They look like a traditional oil lantern but are not fire hazards since they don’t use actual fire. These devices also have additional features that you will never get from an old-fashioned oil lantern.
Check out what we found for you for survival lamps. The good news is that you can also use them for camping too!
Coleman LED Lantern
- Battery Guard system stops battery drain to preserve battery life and reduce corrosion
- Allows batteries to be stored in lantern for years (up to their inherent shelf life)
- 4 modes: high, medium, low, flashing; lasts up to 14 hours on high and uses 4 D batteries (sold...
- Brightness: up to 1000 lumens; beam distance: up to 16 meters
- IPX4 water-resistant design; impact-resistant up to 2 meters (on dirt)
The Coleman LED Lantern provides a 1,000-lumen light output whenever there is a blackout. It is water-resistant and impact-resistant. Aside from the continuous light mode, this lantern also has a flashing mode in case you need to get the attention of somebody.
Energizer LED Camping Lantern
- ✅ [ENERGIZER POWER]: Energizer LED Emergency Lantern works with 3 Energizer MAX D batteries for...
- ✅ [SUPER BRIGHT LED TECHNOLOGY]: This camping light Puts out up to 500 lumens* in high mode,...
- ✅ [VERSATILE MODES]: Switches between 3 light mode settings: high, low, and night light with the...
- ✅ [LONG-LASTING RUN TIME]: Runs up to 650 hours in low mode for a portable, handheld light that...
- ✅ [WATER RESISTANT & RUGGED]: Durable and rugged, the water-resistant construction withstands...
The 500-lumen light output of the Energizer LED Camping Lantern makes it ideal to provide light during blackouts and emergencies. It has a low mode that gives you up 650 hours of light. Additionally, it is durable and waterproof.
#7: Rechargeable Lamps for Survival Lighting
Similar to flashlights, there are also rechargeable lamps that remove the need for extra batteries at home. All you need to do is to plug these lamps into a wall outlet to charge them. While there are ideal for short power outages, they may not be suitable for blackouts lasting for days.
So, you can use these lamps as backups to your main source of light during an emergency. Even though some rechargeable lamps only have basic features, there are some models that offer more than providing illumination at night.
Anyway, here are a couple of options you may want to consider for lamps that are perfect for survival lighting.
Coleman Lantern Rechargeable
- Built-in lithium ion rechargeable battery
- USB charging port to charge your mobile devices (USB cord included)
- 120V charger lets you easily charge the lantern from any home outlet
- Lumens: 400 on high, 100 on low. Runtime: 5 hours on high, 20 hours on low
- Lifetime LEDs never need replacing. 3-year limited warranty
The Coleman Lantern Rechargeable features a built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery. It comes with a 120-volt charger to allow you to charge it using any home power outlet. It can provide five hours of light on high mode and 20 hours of illumination in low mode.
KeShi Camping Lantern
Aside from its six different lighting modes, the KeShi Camping Lantern can also charge your laptop or mobile device through its 4,000-mAh battery. It is also waterproof and drop-resistant which makes a great choice for survival lighting.
There may be instances when it’s necessary to have both hands free during emergency situations. But, this can be tricky at night with a blackout. But, this won’t be an issue if you have a headlamp to light your way.
Headlamps free up your hands while allowing you to see where you’re going in the dark. You can also use it while performing first aid in the dark. The headlamp can even be made into a makeshift lamp when you attach it to a milk or water jug.
If you’re interested to get a couple of headlamps for future use, then check out the following:
OV LED Headlamp
- POWERFUL LIGHT STRIP: The OV LED Broadbeam Headlamp lights up your surroundings unlike any...
- 210 DEGREES OF ILLUMINATION: The OV Broadbeam Headlamp features a 300 Lumen output from 20 bright...
- LOW-PROFILE DESIGN: The compact, lightweight design of the OV Broadbeam Headlamp is comfortable to...
- SIMPLE OPERATION: The OV LED Broadbeam Headlamp has three power modes and is easy-to-operate with...
- ENDLESS APPLICATIONS: The OV LED Broadbeam headlamp can be used for many applications such as...
The OV LED Headlamp provides a 210-degree illumination in front of you. It features 20 high-efficiency LEDs providing a light output of 300 lumens. Moreover, it has three power modes and is easy to operate.
Rayovac LED Headlamp
- ULTRA BRIGHT: Illuminate your workspace with premium LED components – Up to100 lumens and 98 feet...
- SECURE COMFORT: Solid aluminum construction featuring a cloth and silicone head strap for...
- DROP TESTED: Sustains drops of up to 30 feet due to shatterproof components and a shock-absorbing...
- IP67 WATERPROOF: Rugged, sealed construction keeps this headlamp waterproof in up to 3 feet of water...
- Batteries included: your purchase comes with 3 Rayovac AAA batteries
If you’re keen on getting a durable headlamp, then the Rayovac LED Headlamp is what you’re looking for. This virtually-indestructible headlamp due to its shatterproof components and has a shock-absorbing rubber bezel. Its LED can also provide 50 lumens of light that can shine up to a distance of 72 feet.
#9: Oil Lanterns as Survival Lighting
Something as simple as an oil lantern can be used in an emergency situation when the light goes out. These lanterns are good light sources, particularly the traditional hurricane or storm lantern. They are great alternatives to an ordinary candle for survival lighting in a natural disaster.
But, one thing you should remember is to make sure to store lamp oil inside non-corrosive containers to avoid accidents. You should also have extra wicks if you’re planning to use these lanterns as your go-to source of light in case of a blackout.
Now, check out some oil lanterns we found in the market for you.
Dietz Hurricane Oil Lamp
- 14 3/4 inch height
- Burns 26 hours on 31 ounces of fuel
- 12 candlepower output
- Comes with a 7/8 inch wick
- Great for camping or emergencies
The Dietz Hurricane Oil Lamp is over a foot tall and can provide light for up to 26 hours with 31 ounces of fuel. It also features a 7/8-inch wick and is ideal for emergencies of camping trips.
Shop4Omni Hurricane Kerosene Oil Lantern
- Full Size 12" Tall Kerosene Oil Lantern
- Metal Body with Glass Globe
- Adjustable Wick - Long Lasting
- Great for Emergencies and Outdoor Parties
The one-foot tall Shop4Omni Hurricane Kerosene Oil Lantern features a metal body along with a glass globe. It comes with a long-lasting, adjustable wick and ideal for emergencies and outdoor activities. Each purchase also gives you two lanterns.
#10: Night Vision Devices
If you want to go high-tech, then you might be interested in getting some night vision devices. They basically augment infrared light o allow you to see in the dark. Aside from goggles, you can also get night vision binoculars so you can see what’s out there in the dark.
Take note these are not toys. Some of the equipment used by outdoor specialists. And they are also somewhat expensive. But, if money is not an issue, check out the following devices we found for you. Although not typically used for survival lighting, they can be quite handy to have on hand in certain situations.
ATN Night Vision Goggles
- Product Type: Battery
- Package Dimensions: 31.496 L X 18.796 W X 18.542 H (Centimeters)
- Package Weight: 3.15 Pounds
- Country Of Origin: United States
The ATN Night Vision Goggles are multi-purpose, head-mounted devices that allow you to see in the dark. They are lightweight and waterproof. Moreover, they come with a limited two-year warranty.
Bestguarder Digital Night Vision Binocular
- LARGE 4 INCH VIEW SCREEN WITH EXCELLETNT IMAGE PERFORMANCE: Built In 2 inch TFT screen, convert to 4...
- OUTSTANDING OPTICAL CLARITY WITH TIME LAPSE FUNCTION: High performance with 4.5X optical...
- LONG VIEWING DISTANCE RANGE WITH LONG CONTINUOUS RUNTIME: Built in 850NM 3W infrared LED illuminator...
- PERFECT GIFT FOR FAMILY MEMBER WITH ULTRA-EASY OPERATOR INTERFACE & ERGONOMIC AND EASY-GRIP DESIGN:...
- USER FRIENDLY WITH 32G MEMORY: Built-in setting menu with 9 languages; Date and time, GPS ID stamped...
The Bestguarder Digital Night Vision Binocular gives you night vision capabilities in case the power goes out. It features a four-inch viewing screen offering optimal clarity through its built-in infrared LED illuminator.
It is important for you to be prepared for emergency situations when the light goes out. Due to this, you should make sure you have different sources of light in case of a blackout. That’s why you might want to pick up at least two of these survival lighting choices.
Have your Say about Survival Lighting
Do you have any recommendations or questions about emergency lighting options. If your top pick one of them from this list or do you have another one that you’d like to share? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter. It’ll help other people, like yourself who are preparing for an emergency find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API