Electricity has become so essential these days that we get anxious when we experience a power outage for a couple of hours. But, imagine if the outage will last for a couple of days or even a week. What would you do? Without an emergency power supply, things can be quite tough!
Well, for one thing, you may have to go back to basics and use your emergency lights at night. You may also have to take out your emergency essentials so you can have something to eat while waiting for the power to come back.
But, what if you something that can power up your house while waiting for the blackout to end? If you’re wondering what can do this, it’s an emergency power supply.
What is an Emergency Power Supply System?
An emergency power supply system is an independent electrical power source used to provide electricity in case of a power outage. They are typically used in hospitals, data centers, and telecommunication facilities among others. Along with things like water supplies and food, power is one of those vital things to have in case of societal breakdown or other kind of emergency.
But, some systems are designed for home use. They range from small systems capable of supplying power to some devices in the house up to ones that can provide for all the power needs of all appliances and devices in the house. They’re perfect to use in a situation like a large earthquake where power lines will certainly be damaged (check this out: How to prepare for an earthquake).
Home Emergency Power: Top 6 Options to Consider
Your needs and personal preference will determine which system you’ll get for your home. Now, let’s take a look at these home emergency power systems are available in the market.
#1: Hand-Crank Generators
Hand-crank generators are small, portable generators designed to provide power for small devices, such as radios and mobile phones. The power they provide is limited is are mainly suitable for you to put in some juice into your mobile devices to allow you to make a call or listen for updates on your radio.
These are inexpensive and can also charge different types of rechargeable batteries. We found the following hand-crank generators you can consider getting for your home:
K-Tor 20-watt Pedal Generator
- 20 watt pedal general, compact size, light weight, 120 volt interface compatible with wall chargers
The K-Tor 20 watt pedal generator is a compact and lightweight generator that can easily charge your mobile phones and tablets. Made of steel and polycarbonate plastic, it is designed to be durable and strong. It’s the ideal pick for an emergency power supply for home use.
Tech-L Hand Crank Generator
- This hand crank uses high-tech magnetic conversion technology and the outer case is high-strength...
- Temperature : -40C - 60C ; Relative humidity : 80% - 90%(40 2C) ; Altitude : 5000m
- Power:30W ; Output Voltage:0-28V ; Rated Current:1.5-2A ; Max Current:3A
- Water - resistant; Shock - resistant; Current overload and overheating protection
- Comes with the DC Converter (3V/ 5V/ 6V/ 9V/ 12V/14V/ 16V/ 18V/ 20V/ 24V/ 28VOUTPUT VOLTAGE)
The Tech-L Hand Crank Generator is designed to provide power to laptops, communication devices, digital cameras, and portable mobile televisions, among others. It is shock and water-resistant. This hand crank generator can also charge different types of rechargeable batteries directly. In particular, urban preppers seem to love this out.
#2: Uninterruptible Power Supply
Power outages are a computer’s worst nightmare. When the power goes out, everything that wasn’t saved will disappear from the face of the Earth. But, this will not be the case if your computer is connected to an interruptible power supply or a UPS.
The UPS is designed to give you a little bit of leeway when a power outage occurs. It gives you time to make some minor corrections and save your files before properly turning off your personal computer or PC.
Aside from your PC, you can also plug in a modem to the UPS so you’ll still be able to use the internet even if the power is out albeit for a limited time.
But, one thing you should note is that a UPS can only provide power for a short period. The best a UPS can provide is two-hours worth of power. Well, this is more than enough for you to save your files and shut down your PC properly.
If you’re looking for a good UPS you can buy for your home, check out the following options:
- 600VA / 330W Backup Battery power supply
- 7 Outlets (NEMA 5-15R): 5 UPS Battery Backup with Surge Protection Outlets, and 2 Surge Protector...
- One USB Charger Port (1.5A) for cell phones and other portable electronics
- 5' Power Cord, right-angle 3-prong wall plug (NEMA 5-15P), wall-mountable, plus FREE Windows PC...
- REPLACEABLE BATTERY: The battery can be replaced when needed with RBC model APCRBC154 (sold...
The APC UPS is a 330-watt backup power supply for your PC and mobile devices. It features seven surge-protected power outlets and one USB charger. Moreover, its battery has a shelf life of between three and five years. This makes it a perfect pick for an emergency power supply for homes.
CyberPower Intelligent LCD UPS System
- 1500VA/900W Intelligent LCD Battery Backup Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) System
- 12 NEMA 5-15R outlets: (6) battery backup & surge protected outlets, (6) surge protected outlets...
- Multifunction LCD panel: Displays immediate, detailed information on battery and power conditions,...
- Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR): Corrects minor power fluctuations without switching to battery...
- 3-year warranty – Including the batteries; 500,000 dollars connected equipment guarantee and free...
If you’re in the market for a UPS with its own LCD panel, then the CyberPower Intelligent LCD UPS System is what you’re looking for. Its multifunction LCD panel gives you detailed information about the battery along with power conditions. Additionally, it has six surge-protected power outlets where you can plug your PC, networking devices, and entertainment equipment.
How to Install a Generator for Emergency Power
#3: Solar Generators
Some people are not keen on getting a portable generator with the amount of noise it produces. But, things will be different if you use a solar generator at home. Aside from not being quiet, solar generators are environment-friendly since they do not use any fuel to run.
These types of generators also have no emissions and use the power of the sun. Since it is quiet, you can use it even inside your house. Some people are using these generators to go off the grid and save on electricity costs.
All you need is to install the solar panels on the roof. These panels feature photovoltaic cells that convert solar energy into DC power. The DC power is then converted into AC power using an inverter.
While solar generators do not cost much to run, your initial expense of getting them may cost more than an ordinary fuel-run generator. But, the cost can be considered an investment since you’ll save money in the long run.
Here are some solar generators we found in the market that you may consider getting:
Nature’s Generator Gold System
- 🌵 Nature's Generator has a built-in 1800W Pure Sine Wave Inverter and Internal 60 AH battery;...
- 🌴 System includes 1 x 100W Polycrystalline Nature's Generator Power Panel with built-in wheels...
- 🌳 The Nature's Generator features 3 x 120V AC outlets, 2 x USB ports that produce 3A of combined...
- 🌿 The front of the Nature's Generator also features a light up LCD screen that gives the user a...
- 🌲 The back panel of the Nature's Generator also has a built-in 600-Volt/175 Amp expansion port...
Nature’s Generator Gold System features its own 1,800-watt inverter and 60 AH battery. It can produce up to 720 watt-hours of power on a single charge. Moreover, you can monitor the charging status, battery level, and output usage through its LCD screen. It’s the most eco-friendly emergency power supply for emergencies.
WindyNation Solar Panel Kit
- Complete kit includes: (4pcs) 100 Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panel, 30-amp P30L Solar Charge...
- Solar charging will provide on average 1600 Watt Hours (Wh) or 135 Amp hours of charge per day...
- Designed for RVs, cabins, homes, boats, back-up and remote power use
- Bundle and save! Purchase all the components together and save time and money!
- Perfect kit for a off-grid 12 volt battery system. 1500 Watt VertaMax Inverter provides plenty of AC...
The WindyNation Solar Panel Kit comes with 100-watt solar panels, a 30-amp solar charge controller, 40 feet of solar cable, connectors, and solar mounting hardware, among others. It can provide up to 135 Amp hours of power every day and is designed for remote and backup power use.
#4: Recreational Power Generators
A recreational power generator is another option you can consider for your emergency power needs. While recreational power generators are mainly for camping and outdoor activities, they can also be used as an emergency power source.
But, you should take note that they may not be able to provide enough power to allow you to use all your home appliances for a long time. Despite this limitation, it can ensure your lights remain on during a power outage. It can even allow you to use one or two appliances.
Here are some recreational power generators you may want to buy:
Honda Power Equipment
- - EU3000i Handi packs plenty of power to start up recreational vehicle air conditioning units up to...
- - At only 78 lbs., the EU3000i handi is the lightest, most compact 3000-Watt inverter generator that...
- - Exceptionally portable, sporting 2 handles and wheels, the EU3000i Handi can be rolled to your...
- - So quiet, your neighbors will thank you, the EU3000i Handi operates at 57 to 65 dBA, depending on...
- - Thanks to Honda's exclusive eco-throttle system, the EU3000i Handi offers outstanding fuel...
The Honda Power Equipment is among the lightest inverter generator in the market. Its two handles and wheels make it easy to bring it around. Moreover, this 3,000-watt portable generator is ideal for camping as well as a source of power during emergencies.
Sportsman Propane Powered Portable Generator
- 4000 watt surge/3250 watt continuous.
- 10 hour run time on 50% load, propane fuel hose and regulator included, LPG propane tank not...
- Recoil start, circuit protection, auto fuel shut-off safety valve, Auto low oil shut down
- Two 120V AC outlet and one 12V DC outlet for battery charging
- EPA approved
The Sportsman Propane Powered Portable Generator is a 4,000-watt generator that provides 10 hours of power during emergencies. It features a pair of 120-volt AC outlets and one 12-volt DC outlet. Additionally, it also has an auto shut-off valve for additional safety.
#5: Standby Portable Generators
Aside from a recreational power generator, you can also consider a standby portable generator that is specifically designed to provide electricity during emergencies. These generators normally run on gasoline, which means you can keep on using it if you have a steady supply of fuel.
They are also portable and allow you to bring it anywhere. These types of generators come in different sizes and have varying power outputs depending on their size. The bigger they are, the more appliances they can provide power for a longer time.
You can even use these generators for other activities aside from emergencies. If you’re interested in getting a standby portable generator, you can check out what we found in the market:
Westinghouse Portable Generator
- 7500 Running Watts and 9500 Peak Watts; Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil...
- Features Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) 5-20R 120V Household Duplex Receptacle and One...
- Plug-and-Play: Comes with a Remote Start Key Fob, 12V Battery Charger, Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool...
- Powered by a 420cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve with...
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are Functionally Tested in the Factory and May Contain Minimum...
The Westinghouse Portable Generator offers 7,500 watts of power that can be used during a blackout. Its 6.6-gallon fuel tank allows you to have up to 16 hours of continuous power. Additionally, it also comes with a remote start feature that allows you to turn it on from a distance. This makes it the perfect pick for a home power supply to use in case of emergency.
Champion Portable Inverter Generator
- Dual Fuel – Operate your 3400-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or...
- Convenient Electric Start with 3-Position Ignition Switch – Battery included, plus Quick Touch...
- Ultra-Quiet Operation – 59 dBA is perfect for RVs, tailgating, your next project or backup power...
- Clean Power for Sensitive Electronics – RV Ready with a 120V 30A RV, plus two 120V 20A household...
- Champion Support – Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from...
The dual-fuel feature of the Champion Portable Inverter Generator allows you to use either propane or gasoline to use it. This 3,400-watt portable generator features an electric start and access controls in one location. It can provide up to 7.5 hours of power until it runs out of fuel.
#6: Fixed or Permanent Power Generators
The last type of emergency power system you can use for your home is the fixed or permanent power generator. These home power backup systems are huge and are sometimes connected to the natural gas supply of the house.
They provide automatic power in case a blackout occurs and are also powerful enough to run all your appliances at home. These kinds of generators can even allow you to use your centralized air conditioning unit.
But, these generators require huge space and are normally costly. The size of the unit determines its price. You should also hire a professional to install it.
Despite these drawbacks, some homeowners prefer this type of generator since it can provide suitable power to the house in case of emergencies. They are also willing to pay for these products since it means their power supply will not be interrupted by a blackout.
If you’re keen on getting a fixed or permanent power generator to use in case of natural disaster or other emergency situation, you may want to check out the following:
Generac Home Standby Generator
- 5-Year limited Warranty for automatic standby generators.
- Up to whole house protection with the 200 Amp, NEMA 3R (aluminum outdoor enclosure) smart switch
- Smart, User-friendly controls. Generac’s evolution controller features a multilingual LCD display...
The Generac Home Standby Generator is an automatic standby generator that can provide up to 22 kilowatts of power. It is housed inside an all-aluminum enclosure that is tough and durable. Moreover, it comes with a multilingual LCD that allows you to track maintenance intervals and monitor battery status, among others.
Briggs & Stratton Home Standby Generator System
- Includes 50 amp transfer switch with flexible indoor/outdoor installation
- Closer placement options as close as 18 in. from your home per the National Fire Protection Agency...
- Built from the Galvanneal steel used in the automotive industry for long-term durability
- Comprehensive 4-year parts, labor, and travel limited warranty
The Briggs & Stratton Home Standby Generator System provides 8,000 watts of standby power ready for you to use in case of a blackout. Despite the substantial standby power it offers, it only occupies a relatively small space compared to other standby power systems. Additionally, this system comes with a five-year limited warranty.
A power outage may come unannounced during an emergency, but you can always prepare for it by ensuring you have an emergency power supply system ready in your home.
Have your Say about Emergency Power Supplies for Home
Do you have any recommendations for a power unit for the home in case of emergency? Do you have one of the options on this list or do you recommend something else? Leave a comment below and let us know. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter. It’ll help other people, like yourself who are preparing for emergencies.
Last update on 2021-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API