Emergencies can happen when you least expect it. These emergencies may result from disasters that will significantly affect your daily life. While you can never predict when disaster will strike, you can minimize its effect on you by preparing a kit filled with emergency essentials. Keep on reading for our recommendations for an emergency supply list.
Emergency Supply List for Home: Top 12 Things to Consider
Building an emergency kit is not as difficult as you may think. All you need to do is to list the basic items you may need at home. If you have no idea what these items are, then continue reading since we listed several items you should have in your emergency kit at home. This is especially important for those looking to get started with prepping in an urban setting.
#1: Drinking Water
While you can live without food for around a month, you cannot survive without water for more than three days. Due to this, it is important to have a supply of drinking water at home in case of emergencies. You should set aside at least a gallon of water per day per person in the household. Beyond that, it’s prudent to have one of more water purification methods easily accessible in case you need more water than what you’ve set aside initially.
This is especially important during an earthquake where the pipes that carry water to your home will likely be damaged.
You may be wondering how you can store the water. Well, we’re way ahead of you. We checked some water containers you can use to store water. And we found one that may be suitable for your needs.
Reliance Products Aqua-Tainer Water Container
- Rigid, 7-gallon rectangular water container with molded contour grip
- Space-saving design for easy storing and stacking when empty. Spigot cap is reversible for safe...
- New and improved screw-on vent; hideaway spigot for on-demand water dispensing
- Suitable for outdoors activities and emergency water storage
- NOTE: Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight will cause the water container to degrade and become...
The Reliance Products Aqua-Tainer Water Container is a durable seven-gallon water container featuring a molded contour grip. It’s made of BPA-free, rigid polyethylene material. This water container also has a screw-on vent and a hideaway spigot to make water dispensing easy.
Moreover, you also get a five-year manufacturer’s warranty when you purchase the product. If you live near the ocean, considering learning how to desalinate water.
#2: Personal Water Filter
If your water supply is not sufficient, you should have a means of filtering water to make it potable. Due to this, you would need a personal water filter. A personal water filter is a portable device used to purify or filter out unwanted substances in water source.
We checked the market and found one particular personal water filter that may be suitable for your needs, the LifeStraw Personal Water Filter. It’s an ideal addition to an emergency supply list.
LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
- Removes bacteria & parasites: The microfiltration membrane removes 99.999999% of waterborne bacteria...
- Removes microplastics: Removes the smallest microplastics found in the environment (down to 1...
- Rigorous Testing: All claims are verified with laboratories using standard testing protocols set by...
- Long Lifetime: The microbiological filter will provide 4,000 liters (1,000 gallons) of clean and...
- Make an Impact: For every LifeStraw product purchased, a school child in need receives safe drinking...
While the LifeStraw Personal Water Filter is ideally designed for hiking and camping activities, it is also suitable for emergency situations. It’s capable of filtering up to a thousand gallons of water and does not require batteries to do so.
This water filter can remove 99.99 percent of waterborne bacteria and parasites. Its filtering capability surpasses standards set by the EPA.
#3: Non-perishable food
Aside from water, you would also need food supplies in your emergency kit. But, the kit should not have just any food items in it, it should be non-perishable food items. In this instance, you may want to stock up enough canned goods to last you for at least three days.
Emergency Food Supply Starter Kit
- Emergency Food Starter Supply
- Small Serving Sizes - Easily Stored
- 5 Mil Thick Shield Pro Reclose-able Mylar Bags
- Oxygen Absorber in Each Pack
If you have no time gathering the necessary food items, you may opt to get the Emergency Food Supply Starter Kit from Herbs Plus. The kit contains meals that only require you to add water. The meals include six servings of Mac n Cheese, 12 servings of chunky potato soup, and six servings of dried scrambled egg. It’s a perfect addition to an emergency supply list.
Moreover, the kit also comes with two four-ounce packs of water in case you have no potable water supply available.
#4: Manual can opener
Since electricity may go out during large-scale emergency situations, you may also include in your emergency kit a manual can opener. This will be quite useful if you have canned goods in your non-perishable food supply. The Adoric Professional Heavy Duty Can Opener may be the perfect choice for you.
Adoric Professional Heavy Duty Can Opener
This heavy-duty, stainless steel manual can opener is durable and comfortable to use. It features an oversized, easy-to-turn knob that makes it easy to remove lids. Moreover, it does not leave any jagged edges on the can and it is easy to clean.
You can also rest easy knowing its blades are made of FDA-certified high-strength alloy material.
#5: Mess kit
You got the food and water covered in your emergency kit. Now, you should look for a mess kit so you won’t have to use your bare hands to eat. While there are numerous mess kits available online, you may want to consider getting the UCO 4-Piece Camping Mess Kit.
UCO 4-Piece Camping Mess Kit
- Mess kit for camping, backpacking, scouting, and meals on-the-go; includes plate, bowl, 3-in-1 spork...
- For meal storage and transport, the bowl and plate connect with an airtight seal; included tether...
- 3-in-1 spork features a spoon on one end and a fork with serrated knife edge on the other; made from...
- Bowl and plate have rubberized grips on the bottom to prevent slippage on tabletop while eating
This mess kit comes with a bowl, a plate, and a 3-in-1 spork utensil. The 3-in-1 spork features a spoon, fork, and serrated knife. You can even use the bowl and plate to store meals and secure it using a tether.
This is a compact yet functional mess kit that is a welcome addition to any emergency kit.
#6: Weather-resistant blanket for your Emergency Supply List
Another item you should include in your emergency kit is a weather-resistant blanket. Whether the emergency was caused by a hurricane or not, a warm blanket can keep the cold at bay when you sleep at night. If you’re looking for weather-resistant blanket, then you should consider getting the DOWN UNDER OUTDOORS Large Waterproof Windproof.
Check this out: How to Prepare for a Hurricane.
DOWN UNDER OUTDOORS Large Waterproof Windproof
- NEVER FEAR THE WINTER WEATHER AGAIN stay warm and dry in the bleachers, while lovingly supporting...
- NO MORE STAINS ON THE COUCH your XL lightweight blanket can save you from life’s little or big...
- WHY OUR BLANKET ultrasonically quilted, the 2 layers can’t slide on each other, maximizing safety;...
- YOU DESERVE A BREAK head down to the park, spread your picnic mat for your little ones to play on;...
- WATCH THE SUNSET IN COMFORT WITH THE ONE YOU LOVE show them you care about the little things, be...
While this blanket may be thicker than other blankets in the market, it’s still lightweight and keeps you from getting wet. This also makes it windproof and ensures you are warm on a windy evening. Moreover, it has a secret pocket where you can store keys, your phone, and its stuff sack.
A weather-resistant blanket is not only useful for emergencies, you can also use it for camping activities.
#7: Multi-tool Knife
When it comes to emergencies, nothing beats having a multi-tool knife by your side. This tool has everything you need for any task you can think of. It offers more tools than your ordinary Swiss army knife. One particular multi-tool knife you should consider getting is the Gerber Truss Multi-Tool.
Gerber Truss Multi-Tool
- An evolution of the original Suspension chassis, the Truss includes the benchmark features: all...
- New features to the Truss include: wire stripper, medium flathead driver, awl, file, and ruler
- The low-profile sheath can be mounted vertically or horizontally on belt
- The sheath is also MOLLE-compatible for those operators that require MOLLE vest or pack mounting...
- The handle is constructed from one single piece of steel, allowing for additional strength in a...
The Gerber Truss Multi-Tool has a full serrated blade, full fine edge blade, can opener, bottle opener, scissors, and saw in a pair of spring-loaded needle nose pliers. It also features a standard pair of pliers, wire cutters, wire stripper, flathead screwdriver, and a ruler. . Moreover, the tool is durable and designed to last long.
With all these useful features, it is important for your emergency kit to have a multi-tool knife.
#8: First aid kit
Even as you may not want to have to use it, you should always have a first aid kit close at hand. It should contain everything you need to deal with any situations at home. In this regard, you should consider getting the Swiss Safe 2-in-1 First Aid Kit since it contains all first aid items needed for common emergency situations.
Swiss Safe 2-in-1 First Aid Kit
- ★ NEW & UPGRADED FOR 2021: 2-in-1 Premium First Aid Emergency Kit with 120 medical grade items.
- FULLY STOCKED: Organized interior compartments provides quick access. Rugged, sturdy, high density.
- INCLUDES MINI-FIRST AID KIT: Amazingly small, lightweight Mini Kit with additional 32 medical items.
- MULTIPURPOSE: Perfect for any occasion or events - family, home, workplace, emergencies, outdoors.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: Swiss Safe Guarantees customer satisfaction or receive a 100% refund.
The Swiss Safe 2-in-1 First Aid Kit is fully stocked with bandages, antiseptic wipes, alcohol prep pads, gloves, gauze pads, and an emergency blanket, among others. The kit comes in a compact and lightweight container that you can bring anywhere.
Moreover, you may want to add any prescription meds you may have to your first aid kit. Also check this out:
If you live in an area with poisonous snakes, you may want to include a snake bit kit. Learn more here: How to tell is a snake is poisonous.
#9 Emergency Supply List Item: Radio
During emergencies, the power may be out. In these situations, you may have to rely on a radio for news and official announcements. One emergency radio you should consider getting is the NOAA Emergency Weather Alert Radio.
NOAA Emergency Weather Alert Radio
- 💎 5 POWER SOURCES WITH 𝟱𝟬𝟬𝟬𝗺𝗔𝗵 𝗣𝗛𝗢𝗡𝗘...
- 💎 7 PRE-PROGRAMMED NOAA WEATHER BAND WITH AM FM SHORTWAVE RADIO: This 𝗰𝗿𝗮𝗻𝗸...
- 💎 LONG LASTING BRIGHT 𝗖𝗔𝗠𝗣𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗙𝗟𝗔𝗦𝗛𝗟𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧 & LED...
- 💎 LOUD SOS ALARM SOUND & COMPACT COMPASS: This 𝗯𝗮𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿𝘆...
- 💎 SOLID PRODUCT WITH STRONG AFTER-SALE SERVICE: After collecting customers’ suggestions, we...
The NOAA Emergency Weather Alert Radio ensures you are informed of any severe weather emergencies in your area. It can also be used as a flashlight, reading lamp, and SOS alarm. Moreover, you have five sustainable power options to ensure it will function when you need it the most.
In addition, this emergency radio also features a compact compass and a USB charging port for your mobile devices.
#10: Battery-free flashlight
Since you wouldn’t know how long the power will be out during s disaster, a battery-free flashlight will be useful to have in your kit. Moreover, these flashlights are excellent tools during any power outage or emergency situation.
ThorFire Solar Flashlight
- Solar & Hand Crank Powered Flashlights No Batteries Needed --- This no battery flashlight is perfect...
- High Efficiency of Energy Conversion Cranking Flashlight --- Just 1 minute cranking will generate...
- IPX6 Waterproof and Submersible up to 45 Feet --- Very durable and handy tool for home and outdoor...
- Bright Flashlight --- This solar powered torch light is equipped with high quality LED bulb. Very...
- After-sales Service --- ThorFire will provide customers with ONE YEAR hassle-free after-sales...
You can power the ThorFire Solar Flashlight by exposing its solar panels to sunlight. You can also crank it for one minute to generate one hour’s worth of power for this flashlight. It is also waterproof and is submersible for up to 45 feet.
Moreover, the ThorFire Solar Flashlight is durable and features a high-quality LED bulb to provide light whenever you need it.
You may also want to consider an emergency power unit to avoid this problem in the first place!
#11: Waterproof matches for an Emergency Supplies List
- WINDPROOF – Matches will light and burn up to 15 seconds, even in the strongest wind gusts
- WATERPROOF – Should the match get wet, wipe them off before use and strike on a dry striker to...
- SUBMERSIBLE – These can survive being dropped in water or on the ground while burning and will...
- IDEAL FOR HARSH CONDITIONS – Reliable in all environmental conditions where cooking, generating...
- OUTDOOR ESSENTIAL – Go on adventures in the desert, mountains or woods with confidence knowing...
Many cultures consider fire as a symbol for life. With this, you should have waterproof matches so you can build a fire even in a damp area. The Kings County Tools Waterproof Matches Kit is one of the options you can consider for an emergency supplyl list.
Kings County Tools Waterproof Matches Kit
The Kings County Tools Waterproof Matches will burn up to 15 seconds even under strong wind conditions. If they get wet, all you need to do is to wipe and strike them on a dry striker. In addition, the kit also comes with a durable case where you can store the matches.
#12: Respirator masks
There are some situations where a respirator mask is necessary to keep yourself healthy. Among the best respirator masks that you can get is the N95 respirator mask. They provide optimal protection from non-oil based aerosols and particles
These masks have a filtration efficiency of at least 95 percent. They are also designed to reduce the buildup of heat through a cool flow valve. For the moment, it is not easy to find one in the market due to high demand.
No one ever welcomes emergencies since they have an adverse effect on our everyday lives. But, you can always reduce the effects of these situations when you have your own emergency kit at home.
By following the recommendations on this list, it’s easier than ever to get ready in case disaster strikes. You may also want to check out this articles: Signs of a Tornado.
Have your Say about this Emergency Supply List
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other people preparing for a disaster find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-09-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API