Many people live in the cities. You may be even among these people who call these densely-populated urban areas home. While these places offer a lot of opportunities, it is also quite challenging to be able to live comfortably in them. But, what would happen when a disaster strikes and everything goes haywire? Would you be able to survive a calamity or pandemic in the city? That’s where urban prepping comes in.
If you’re unsure, then it’s probably time for you to start preparing for the unexpected. You will face challenges while preparing in an urban setting, but you can overcome them if you know what to do.
Urban Prepping Tips
Now, let’s talk about what you need to do to prepare in an urban setting with the best tips for urban prepping.
#1: Be Aware of Your Surroundings
The first thing you should do is to be aware of your surroundings. This means you need to be aware of everything around your home and how they can affect your preparations.
For instance, if you live in an apartment building with a lot of people, you have to take into account the possibility of people trying to break in. You should know about your next-door neighbors or the people in your building.
Learning more about your immediate surroundings allows you to secure your home better.
You should also get to know your city. Learn about the major and minor roads, back alleys, and ways of getting from one place to another without using the main road. This knowledge should not be dependent on the GPS on your phone.
Knowing about the city gives you the versatility to move around the city without attracting attention. It is also essential for any survival situation.
#2: Secure Your Shelter for Urban Prepping
Once you know everything about your immediate surroundings and the city, you should now start working on securing your home or shelter.
Never Spill the Beans
The first thing you should do is to avoid telling anyone you have a survival stash in your home. This will ensure it will not be a target for looters when a serious epidemic or disaster hits the city.
Secondly, a sign saying “Beware of Dog” may stop anyone from trying to enter your home even if you don’t have a dog.
Hy-Ko Products Beware of Dog Aluminum Sign
- Weather resistant
- Prepunched mounting holes on four corners for easy mounting
- Rounded Corners
- MADE IN THE U. S. A
Something as simple as the Hy-Ko Products Beware of Dog Aluminum Sign can suitably deter any would-be criminals from trying to break into your home.
Secure Your Windows
If you’re not sure if the sign can discourage lawbreakers, you can reinforce your windows by making them shatter-resistant. To do this, you can install window film into the windows. These window films make it harder for anyone to break your windows at home.
Window Film Security
- MINIMIZE PROPERTY DAMAGE by absorbing impacts from break-in attempts and holds shattered glass...
- PASSES ANSI Z97.1 CLASS B, CPSC CATEGORY 1 testing requirements.
- INCREASE SECURITY or add safety to tempered or non-tempered glass.
- CRYSTAL CLEAR, high quality film with 99% UV REJECTION, this film is applied to the interior side of...
- STRONG ADHESIVES and film to slow down intruders
One such window film you can use is the Window Film Security from Buydecorativefilm. Aside from strengthening your windows, they also protect the interior of your house from harmful UV rays.
Secure Your Doors
Your home may already have locks on the doors, but it shouldn’t stop you from adding more. You can also replace the door with solid-wood doors if they are the regular hollow core doors. Moreover, using longer screws on the door hinges will also strengthen it.
Prime-Line Products Jimmy-Resistant Deadlock
- Used to prohibit forced entry by spreading of door frames
- Installs on doors from 1-3/8 in. to 2-3/8 in. thick
- Brass painted color
- Constructed of diecast
- Used to prohibit forced entry by spreading of door frames
The Prime-Line Products Jimmy-Resistant Deadlock is a double-cylinder deadlock made of die-cast material. They are designed to stop anyone from trying to force themselves into your home.
Zhi Jin Slide Barrel Door Bolt
- [Dimensions]: about 9 * 3cm / 3.5 * 1.1 inches; Quantity: 1 set
- [Material]: Heavy Duty Gate Lock Security Slide Latch The high-quality latch is made of aluminum...
- [Sliding design]: Slide Barrel Door Bolt Latch Convenient sliding design, bolt lock provides extra...
- [Exquisite and durable]: Exquisite and simple appearance, sealed welding, thick reinforced base, not...
- [Applications]: Suitable for sliding bolt lock sets for most doors, suitable for family bedrooms,...
Aside from the deadlock, you can also install the Zhi Jin Slide Barrel Door Bolt on the door for added security. Its sliding design also makes it easy for you to lock your door.
Monitor Your Surroundings when Prepping in an Urban Setting
With the doors and windows secure, you can also set up cameras outside the door. These cameras will allow you to check outside without peeking through your window. Solar-powered motion sensor lights can also ensure you catch anyone trying to sneak into your property at night.
SOLIOM Wireless Outdoor Security Camera
- Rechargeable and solar-powered; No need to plug into power so you can install it on the tree, in the...
- PIR sensor of the camera is sensitive and send no false alarms; Flexibly set up motion sensitivity...
- Full IP66 weatherproof wireless battery security camera, temperature ranges from -4℉ to 140℉;...
- Wifi IP camera captures crystal-clear videos with 1920 by 1080 HD resolution and 120° wide field of...
- Live view and playback through the wifi home surveillance camera via your iOS/Android phones after...
The SOLIOM Wireless Outdoor Security Camera allows you to monitor areas around your house even if you’re not at home. It sends an alert to your smartphone when it detects movement. While it does require a Wi-Fi signal, it does not need any wiring or power cords to function.
#3: Store Supplies
Once your home is secure, it’s time for you to stock up on supplies. Your list of supplies should include your necessities, such as food and water, as well as sources of light and a way to cook food.
You should also have a survival first aid kit and a means to defend yourself. An emergency thermal blanket will also be quite useful, especially if power and heating go down during an emergency. For more details, check this out: Emergency Power Supply Options.
Moreover, you should also have a radio in your storage so you can gather information about the situation.
Similarly, you should have the means to purify water in case your own supply runs out. Your food supply should be non-perishables so you don’t have to replace them every so often.
If you have no idea about what to prepare in your storeroom, you can check out what we found for you.
Saratoga Farms Five-Gallon Stackables
- PORTABLE, STACKABLE WATER CONTAINERS: These 5-gallon water containers are designed with flat bottoms...
- 120 DAYS OF DRINKING WATER: It’s recommended to have half a gallon of water per person per day...
- MADE FROM BPA-FREE HDPE PLASTIC: Our high-quality water containers are made from 100% food-grade...
- SPIGOT & WATER PRESERVER INCLUDED: The extra accessories in this kit make these containers ideal for...
- PREPARE, STORE & SAVE: As a family-founded company with years of experience, we know the importance...
The Saratoga Farms Five-Gallon Stackables allows you to store water while saving space in your home. The flat bottoms and tops of these five-gallon containers make it easy for you to stack them.
LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle
- Reusable LifeStraw Go BPA-free water bottle filters water while drinking; great for travel,...
- Award-winning LifeStraw hollow fiber membrane water filter removes bacteria and protozoa from lakes,...
- 2-stage activated carbon filter reduces odor, chlorine and leaves zero aftertaste
- Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria, and 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites without...
- Durable, 23-ounce, leak-proof bottle made of BPA-free Tritan and features a food-grade silicone...
The LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle is a reusable, BPA-free bottle that filters water from any water source. It can remove 99.99 percent of waterborne bacteria and parasites without using iodine or any chemicals.
Wise Company Emergency Freeze-Dried Food Supply
If you’re not keen on buying food supplies individually, you can opt to get the Wise Company Emergency Freeze-Dried Food Supply. It is made up of 240 servings of entrée and breakfast dishes for you to enjoy. Moreover, they have a very long 25-year shelf life.
Rescue Guard First Aid Kit
- ADVANCED Expert Emergency Survival Kit; LEVEL TWO; Emergency Kit or Basic Survival Kit Includes 12...
- SURVIVAL PACK or EARTHQUAKE SURVIVAL KIT Has HIGHEST-QUALITY ITEMS of ALL SURVIVAL KITS - Premium...
- PREMIUM EMERGENCY GO BAG, ADVANCED LEVEL III Has a WIRE Saw Not In Other Levels, has 4 LIGHTSTICKS...
- Level III Kit Has Our Travel First Aid Kit and our DELUXE First Aid Kit, Level I Just Has Travel...
- BE COMFORTALEVEL 3 Has Deluxe FIRST AID KIT, Other Levels Have Good Amount of FIRST AID SUPPLIES;...
The Rescue Guard First Aid Kit is an emergency kit backpack filled with everything you need to survive. Aside from the typical first aid supplies, the kit also comes with N95 masks, squeeze-powered flashlight, gloves, and a survival knife, among others.
Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets
- 20 Pack. These specially designed emergency rescue / survival blankets provide compact secure...
- Made of a rugged durable insulated Mylar material
- Consistently retains and reflects 90% of body heat
- Size of each open blanket: 54 inches x 84 inches
- Individually sealed packaging, folded to compact size for easy storage
The Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets from Science Purchase is made of durable Mylar material that consistently retains body heat. It is designed to be used as a survival blanket and an emergency rescue blanket. Also, each purchase gives you a total of 20 blankets.
Esky Solar Weather Radios
- 【3 Charging Ways】-- No electricity? No worries. Thanks to its 3 charging methods, the crank...
- 【1000mAh Phone Charger】-- A dead phone can be life threatening. Don't let your phone die when...
- 【Durable Emergency Radio】-- Hurricanes, tornadoes, rainstorms, fires, and more-the Esky Weather...
- 【3 LED Emergency Flashlight】-- Don't let the dark get you down. The 3W built-in flashlight will...
- 【Portable Radio On The Go】-- This lightweight small radio is a hassle-free way to listen to...
The Esky Solar Weather Radios is an emergency radio that features an LED flashlight. Aside from the three ways to charge it, these radios also feature USB ports that allow you to charge your phone. Moreover, they are durable and water-resistant.
#4: Prepare a Bug-Out Bag for Urban Prepping
While staying in your home is your best option when a disaster strikes in the city, there may be instances when it is necessary to evacuate. In these situations, you may not be able to bring any of the emergency supplies you stocked up at home.
Due to this, you should always prepare a bug-out bag. A bug-out bag is a bag containing everything you need to survive for at least 72 hours. It should contain food, water or a water filtration straw, first aid kit, and a multi-tool, among others.
While there are kits currently available in the market, it is advisable to prepare your own bug-out bag so you’ll have everything you need in case you have to evacuate. Just make sure you find a durable bag to put all your supplies in.
WolfWarriorX Tactical 3 Day Expandable Bag
- 【Large Capacity Tactical Backpack and Multi Compartments Military Backpack】Regular Size:...
- 【Disperse the Pressure, More comfortable, Perfect Hiking Backpack】The adjustable chest belt can...
- 【Multipurpose and Casual Laptop Backpack for Men Women Students】 This sog backpack is made of...
- 【Expandable Backpack Water Resistant】This backpack cab be expanded by zipper on the side. The...
- 【Convenient and Practical in Daily Life】1. Water bottle mesh pocket in the side. It is...
One bag you can consider using to store your emergency supplies is the WolfWarriorX Tactical 3 Day Expandable Bag. Its large capacity allows you to bring enough supplies for three days. The backpack also features several pockets where you can store a water bottle, walkie-talkie, and other equipment.
#5: Become The Gray Man
Another way to prepare for an urban setting is for you to become a “gray man.” This means you should be able to blend into a crowd without letting anyone suspect that you have supplies at home. This is important in emergency situations since it will allow you to avoid drawing attention to yourself.
To do this, you should avoid standing out in the crowd. Your clothes should be plain and avoid wearing jewelry or anything that may catch anyone’s eye. This is also useful when you need to leave the city while bringing your bug-out bag.
#6: Have an Emergency Plan
A wise man once said, ‘If you fail to plan, you’re planning to fail.’ This age-old saying is quite applicable to emergencies in the city. You should plan for anything that may happen.
And this plan should involve your entire family. Everyone should know what to do in case something happens.
They should know how to get back to the house when a disaster strikes. You should also have a plan on how to get more supplies in case you’re running low.
Additionally, you should also have a plan for getting out of the city if it becomes necessary. At this point, being aware of the ins and outs of the city will come in handy.
Prepping in an urban setting may be challenging at the start. But, working with your family to prepare everyone for any emergency will make things a whole lot easier for you.
Have you Say about Urban Prepping
Do you have any tips or advice for prepping in an urban setting? Anything we didn’t include in this list? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other people interested in urban prepping find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-09-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API