Water is a vital resource that we cannot live without. While we can survive without food for a month, if we have no water to drink we cannot live past a week. Due to this, we need water to survive. However, if you only have ocean water available like if you live in certain floodplains, you’ll need to know how to desalinate water.
But, what will happen if the only source of water we have is saltwater? Drinking salt water is out of the question since it will only result in dehydration in the long run. So, how can you solve this problem?
Desalination is a process where saltwater or saline water is turned into freshwater. The process requires the removal of salt in salt water. There are two ways to desalinate water: distillation and reverse osmosis. It’s also a water purification method to consider if you are forced to use an emergency water supply that may have heavy chemicals in it such as lead.
Distillation and Desalinating Water
The first method to desalinate water is through distillation. When you distill saltwater, you heat it to the boiling point. The steam created by the process is collected in another container and turned into pure water.
If you’re planning to distill water at home, you have the option of assembling your own distillation equipment if you have the technical know-how to do so. But, if you’re a mere mortal who does not really have the time to find the components for distilling water, read on.
We listed some water distillers you can buy and start enjoying fresh water at home. If you live near the ocean, it’s considered to be an emergency essential.
#1: ECO-WORTHY Water Distiller
- ❧BEST QUALITY---Integrated 304 stainless steel inner tank, with the glass filter and activated...
- ❧GLASS COLLECTION---Includes a 1 gallon glass collection bottle and extended ceramic Glass-Lined...
- ❧PUREST WATER PROCESS---Boiling Chamber (304 stainless steel)→Condenser Coil (304 stainless...
- ❧MANUAL POWER SWITCH---Distinguishes from all water ditiller on the market, Our item with manual...
- ❧BEST SERVICE---Every ECO-WORTHY water distiller have 1 year warranty. Glass jars and glass...
The ECO-WORTHY Water Distiller has an activated carbon and glass filter inside its stainless steel tank. It can remove harmful substances in the water to allow you to enjoy freshly-distilled water at home. This water distiller can produce a gallon of water in as little as four hours.
- Six-gallon output per day
- Simple on/off switch
- Stainless steel interior
- Glass collection bottle with a durable handle
- One-year warranty
The ECO-WORTHY Water Distiller distills water at a temperature of 212 degrees Fahrenheit. At this temperature, contaminants and toxins are removed from the water. Aside from the one-year warranty, the water distiller also comes with a two-year free replacement for components.
#2: CO-Z Water Distiller
- Purest Possible H2O ----- The 50Hz, 750W heating element guarantees distillation speed over 1/4...
- Quality & Safety ----- The entire steam chamber including dome and condensing coil is 100% stainless...
- Easy Operation ----- With single-button startup, easy access for cleaning, and no dirty filter...
- Overheat Protection ----- Rigorously tested for safety in home settings. Reinforced condenser...
- 1-year Warranty ----- Includes a 1-year limited warranty from the manufacturer with free exchange if...
The CO-Z Water Distiller is a budget-friendly water distiller that produces up to six gallons of purified water every day. It can effectively remove bacteria, VOCs, and dissolved solids. The water distiller is also easy to use and maintain.
- Distills one quart of water per hour
- Easy to use and maintain
- Food-grade stainless steel steam chamber
- Thermostatically-controlled off switch
- One-year limited warranty
The CO-Z Water Distiller uses a 750-watt heating element in removing bacteria, VOCs, and other contaminants from water. It automatically turns off when the temperature exceeds 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Being offered by an FDA-approved company, all components of the distiller are safe to use.
#3: CO-Z Brushed Stainless Steel Water Distiller
- Safe to Use ----- Every part of CO-Z distiller machine is safe to use. You can directly drink the...
- Purify Water ----- 50Hz 750W heating element guarantees distillation speed over a quarter gallon per...
- Easy to Use & Maintain ----- Push a single button to start, and you are good to go, PLEASE remember...
- Protection ----- Thermostatically controlled to automatically switch off to prevent burn-out when...
- Warranty ----- Comes with 1 year limited warranty from the manufacturer, free exchange if the item...
The CO-Z Brushed Stainless Steel Water Distiller has a 750-watt heating element to remove dissolved solids, VOCs, bacteria, and other contaminants in the water. It is capable of distilling six gallons of water every day.
- Single-press operation
- Thermostatic control system
- Fast distilling process
- FDA-approved water distiller distributor
- One-year warranty
The CO-Z Brushed Stainless Steel Water Distiller produces freshwater through heating, evaporation, and condensation. It features a stainless steel exterior and a glass carafe. The distiller automatically turns off when it gets too hot.
#4: Waterwise Water Distiller
- NOW WITH GLASS WATER JUG / CATCHER
- Automatic shut-off after one gallon cycle
- Stainless steel condenser - not aluminum
- Distillate Capacity: 1 Gallon in 4 hours, up to 6 gallons in 24 hours
- Manufacturers 1 Year Limited Warranty
The Waterwise Water Distiller has a stainless steel condenser and glass water jug. It is capable of producing one gallon of water every four hours. Its compact size makes it versatile and easy to bring around.
- Produces six gallons of distilled water per day
- Automatic shut-off function after a one-gallon cycle
- Stainless Steel Condenser
- Glass water jug
- One-year limited warranty
The Waterwise Water Distiller does not require any installation, which makes it easy to use anywhere. It also has a one-click function to allow you to easily enjoy distilled water anytime. The distiller heats water to 212 degrees Fahrenheit to remove salts, heavy metals, and dissolved solids.
Things to Consider in a Water Distiller
There are several options in the market if you’re looking for a water distiller for your home. But, you should consider some factors before you finalize your decision. The following are some things you should take into account before clicking on the “add to cart” button:
#1: Water Requirements
This factor is related to the number of people in the household. If you have a huge family in the household, you should look for a water distiller that provides enough distilled water for everyone. But, if the household is small, a countertop water distiller may be sufficient for your needs
#2: Distilling Capacity
The distilling capacity of the water distiller you are eyeing is another thing to take into account. Some water distillers can distill one gallon of water within four hours while others take longer. If you think the capacity is good enough to meet the needs of your family, then you can click on buy.
#3: Filtration Feature
While nearly all contaminants are removed from the water during the distillation process, there may be some volatile organic compounds that remain. This means you have to look for a water distiller with a carbon filtration system to ensure the water is thoroughly cleaned.
But, the more filtration features in the water distiller the more expensive it is. So, the added filtration features are mainly determined by your preference.
The cost of the water distiller is another factor to consider. You should remember that more costly distillers may offer more features. But, if you think your water source is not too contaminated, you may want to get a less costly model. This should of course be a key consideration if you want to desalinate water cheaply but effectively.
Reverse Osmosis to Desalinate Water
The second method to desalinate water is known as reverse osmosis. Reverse osmosis uses a semi-permeable membrane to turn salt water into freshwater. A semi-permeable membrane is a material that allows some substances to pass through while stopping others. In this process, pressure forces water to pass through the membrane while leaving the salt behind.
A reverse osmosis system can remove up to 99 percent of contaminants in the water. They are also simple to maintain compared to other desalination equipment in the market. If you’re looking for a reverse osmosis system for your home, then you’ve come to the right place.
Check out some reverse osmosis systems you can consider for your home.
#1: iSpring 6-Stage Reverse Osmosis System
- Certified to NSF/ANSI 58, 6-Stage Alkaline Remineralization Layered Filtration: Exclusively designed...
- BENEFITS: The iSpring RCC7AK water softener includes an additional sixth stage - an Alkaline...
- FEATURES: Beautiful European-Style kitchen faucet. Transparent 1st stage housing for easy visual...
- EASY DO IT YOURSELF INSTALLATION: The water purifier is designed for do-it-yourself installation and...
- 100% SATISFIED CUSTOMERS: RCC7AK from America’s favorite brand of under sink water filter is the...
Aside from cleaning and purifying the water, the iSpring 6-Stage Reverse Osmosis System also restores the natural alkalinity and mineral balance of water. It is capable of removing contaminants at the micron level. Moreover, it is easy to install under a standard kitchen sink.
- Six-stage alkaline re-mineralization layered filtration
- Removes 99 percent of contaminants
- Features an ultra-fine filter
- Easy to install under the sink
- One-year manufacturer’s warranty
The first five stages of the iSpring 6-Stage Reverse Osmosis System removes contaminants in the water while the sixth stage restores the alkalinity of the water to make it taste better. This reverse osmosis system also comes with a European-style faucet.
#2: APEC Top Tier 6-Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter
- SUPREME QUALITY: Built with super long-lasting 100% US MADE filters, RO-PH90 is the most durable...
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: Guaranteed to remove up to 99% of contaminants such as chlorine, taste, odor,...
- WQA Certified: RO-PH90 is tested and certified by WQA to remove up to 99% of contaminants including...
- pH Enhanced: Add 100% US-Made high-purity calcium carbonate to effectively raise pH in the water for...
- EQUIPPED WITH PREMIUM FAUCET & PARTS: Comes with 100% metal, 100% lead-free luxury designer faucet,...
The APEC Top Tier 6-Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter is another reverse osmosis system that can remove up to 99 percent of contaminants in the water. It can also add calcium carbonate to increase the pH level of the water to make it taste better. Additionally, the filters of this system can last up to 12 months.
- US-made filters
- Removes contaminants such as lead, chlorine, arsenic, and heavy metals
- Increases alkalinity of the water
- WQA tested and certified
- Two-year manufacturer’s warranty
The APEC Top Tier 6-Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter also comes with a luxury designer faucet, FDA-certified food-grade tubing, and top-notch fittings.
#3: Home Master Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System
- A better RO system | Home Master Ultra’s innovative design solves most common problems associated...
- EPA Registered | The Home Master UV Sterilizer is registered under EPA #97952-AZ-1 and has been...
- NSF Certified Components | meets or exceeds NSF standards for material safety and performance. NSF...
- Highly pure water | 6-stages of filtration, and purification remove up to 99% of Chlorine &...
- Reduced Water Waste & TDS Creep | Built in non-electric permeate pump reduces TDS creep and water...
The Home Master Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System uses an advanced filtration system in removing iron, sediments, heavy metals, and other contaminants from the water. It also features a UV filter to remove microorganisms.
- Modular filter design
- Features a UV light filter
- Filters are easy to replace
- Easy installation
- Five-year limited warranty
The Fast Flow RO kit of the Home Master Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System ensures a faster flow rate of water to the faucet. It also reduces water wastage by up to 80 percent.
#4: AlcaPure Zero Installation Purifier Reverse Osmosis Water Filter
- PUREST TASTING REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER: Zero Installation Purifier transforms ordinary tap water into...
- MODERN AND STYLISH COUNTERTOP WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM: Beautify any kitchen with the best reverse...
- SPACE-SAVING DESIGN: The supply water tank is conveniently located in front of the unit, eliminating...
- BPA FREE. REMOVES UP TO 99% OF ALL CONTAMINANTS: Including Fluoride, Chlorine, Heavy Metals, Lead,...
When it comes to countertop reverse osmosis systems, nothing comes close to the AlcaPure Zero Installation Purifier Reverse Osmosis Water Filter. Its compact design is ideal for apartments and condos. Moreover, it’s easy to use and removes 99 percent of all contaminants.
- Compact design
- Easy to use
- Removes 99 percent of contaminants
- No assembly or installation required
- One-year limited warranty
The AlcaPure Zero Installation Purifier Reverse Osmosis Water Filter is designed for limited spaces and does not require side or top clearances. The system also does not require any installation and has no diverter valves or hoses.
Things to Consider in a Reverse Osmosis System
A reverse osmosis system is an efficient way of removing contaminants in the water. But, there are some things that you should consider before buying one for your home. We listed these factors to help you decide which reverse osmosis system is best for you.
#1: Water Source
The source of the water is an important factor to consider since it shows the level of contamination of the water. If the water source comes from the city, it will require less filtration. But, if it’s well water, then you may need a good reverse osmosis system to produce clean water. This is certainly a factor to consider if you want to desalinate water.
#2: Filters Required
Aside from knowing the level of contamination of the water, you should also consider the availability of the filters in case you need to replace them. This means you should get a system using filters that are not hard to find. You should also know how often you need to replace these filters.
#3: Water Pressure
Reverse osmosis systems require pressure to work properly. They normally need a water pressure of at least 40 PSI. If the water pressure is lesser than this, you will need a booster pump to increase the pressure.
#4: Cost to Desalinate Water
Similar to other equipment you need at home, you should also consider the price of the reverse osmosis system. The price can range from a hundred dollars up to over a thousand dollars. While more expensive models offer more features, some affordable systems also offer similar features as the high-priced models.
Have your Say about How to Desalinate Water
Do you have any comments or questions about desalinating water? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think about this important topic. We’d love to hear from you. Also consider checking this out: water storage ideas.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other people preparing for an emergency, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-01-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API