It’s no joke to be caught with your pants down in the middle of a disaster like a tsunami or tornado. You will have no choice but to hunker down and wait it out. In these situations, it’s always great to have an emergency essentials kit to tide you over.
You may be wondering what you should include in your supplies. Well, you’ve come to the right place. We listed everything you need to assemble your own emergency essentials kit.
Emergency Essentials: What you Need to Survive a Disaster
Continue reading before you start putting together an emergency essentials kit, including basic supplies, tools and equipment, medical supplies and personal items. It’s a nice guide for those looking to get started with urban prepping.
#1: Basic Supplies
The basic supplies you should have in the kit are the things you need in case a disaster strikes. They include food and water. Check out the following list of basic supplies you should have.
You should have at least one gallon of water per day for every person in the household. The water supply should last up to two weeks. With this in mind, you should have a good container to store the water.
It’s also wise to have an emergency water purification method available to you such as a filter, boiling kit or chemicals in case these supplies run out.
Emergency Water Storage
- 5-gallon Heavy-duty, Food Grade Plastic Construction - 3/4 Inch Threaded Opening - 15"H x 10"W x...
- Stackable Ribs on Top, Matching Vents on Bottom for simple, effective Stacking - Built-in Handle for...
- Dark Blue to control light and prevent Algae growth -Vent Cap included for smoother pouring - Weighs...
- Includes 6 Lids, Spigot, Aquamira Water Purification Kit & Lid Strap Wrench
- BPA-Free | Water Not Included | Provides 30 Day Supply of Drinking Water for 1 Person when Filled (1...
The Emergency Water Storage is a set of 6 five-gallon water tanks that can provide a week’s supply of water for a family of four. These durable, food-grade water tanks are stackable and have a built-in handle. Moreover, it comes with a spigot and a water purification kit.
If you live by the ocean, you may want to consider getting a desalination device for salt water.
Another basic supply you should have in your kit is food. The food should be non-perishable and can last a long time. Moreover, they should be enough to last two weeks for the whole household.
You can purchase canned products since they have a long shelf life. Another option is to buy prepared emergency food supplies available in the market.
Wise Company ReadyWise Emergency Food Supply
- VEGGIE VARIETY BUCKET - 120 servings of freeze-dried vegetables, an excellent addition to your...
- MULTI-USE READY TO EAT FOOD - Camp and survival foods can be stored at home or in your vehicle for...
- 25 YEAR SHELF LIFE - With a 25-year shelf life, our emergency foods are designed to withstand the...
- JUST ADD WATER - Easy to prepare in any situation, just add water, wait 12-15 minutes and enjoy...
- GRAB AND GO - Contained in a convenient, easy to store bucket, food stays safe and secure so they're...
The Wise Company ReadyWise Emergency Food Supply contains 120 servings of freeze-dried vegetables. They have a shelf life of 25 years and come in a durable container. All you need to do is to add water and wait for 15 minutes before enjoying the food.
Baby Supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers)
These supplies are mainly for households with a baby. You should also make sure you have all the supplies you need for the baby. They include baby formula, diapers, and hygiene products, among others.
The supplies should last at least two weeks to ensure you have enough for the needs of the baby.
Huggies Hypoallergenic Baby Diapers
- Huggies Special Delivery diapers size 3 fit babies 16-28 lb. (7-13 kg)
- Our Softest Diaper Ever – Our best combination of premium softness and performance to help keep...
- Outstanding Leakage Protection – Leak Lock system locks away moisture for up to 12 hours, and a...
- Breathable for Sensitive Skin – Soft-to-the-touch, breathable outer layer provides maximum air...
- Hypoallergenic & Dermotologist Tested – Made with plant-based* materials including sugar cane....
If you’re looking for a good supply of diapers for your baby, then you should get the Huggies Hypoallergenic Baby Diapers pack. This pack has 116 pieces, which is good for a whole month. Aside from being soft, it does not have any harsh components to keep your baby’s skin healthy.
#2: Tools and Equipment
Aside from the basic needs of food and water, you should also have tools and equipment at home. These items include a manual can opener, waterproof matches, and a multi-purpose tool, among others. You need to have these items at home in case a disaster or pandemic strikes.
Manual Can Opener
A manual can opener is quite useful if the power goes out during a disaster. It allows you to open any canned goods you stocked at home. Or, consider getting yourself an emergency power supply for home to avoid this problem.
OXO Good Grips Can Opener
- Large, comfortable handles take the pain out of opening cans
- Features big, cushioned handles for a non slip grip, even when wet
- Oversized knob turns easily to take the hard work out of opening cans
- Sharp cutting wheel is made of sturdy stainless steel
- Includes a built in bottle opener
Using a manual can opener doesn’t have to be a challenge when you have the OXO Good Grips Can Opener. It features a large and comfortable handle that makes it easier to manually open cans. Moreover, the handles are cushioned to ensure a non-slip grip when you use it.
There are instances when you need to light a fire while in the middle of a natural calamity. During these times, a pack of waterproof matches will be quite practical, especially if everything is wet from a hurricane (more tips here: Hurricane Preparedness).
VAS Fire Box
The VAS Fire Box is the ultimate emergency fire kit since it contains waterproof matches, magnesium starter kit, BIC lighter, and a lighter fluid flask. Additionally, it also comes with a waterproof match holder and a striker.
A multi-purpose tool is another item you should have in your emergency essentials kit. It gives you the ability to do just about anything that requires a tool. These tools contain everything from a pair of pliers and a knife up to a bottle opener and screwdriver.
Or, you may want to consider picking up one of the best survival knives.
LEATHERMAN Skeletool Lightweight Multitool
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED: A compact 5-ounce multitool with a combo knife, bit driver, pliers and more;...
- 7 TOOLS IN 1: Includes a knife, pliers, a large exchangeable bit driver, wire-cutters and a...
- OUR GUARANTEE: We’re proud to stand behind every product that leaves our factory in Portland,...
- ONE-HAND ACCESS. Skeletool only requires one hand to open and use all the tools, even the ones that...
- ALWAYS ON HAND: The Skeletool weighs just 5 ounces and is equipped with a removable pocket clip so...
The LEATHERMAN Skeletool Lightweight Multitool is a lightweight multi-purpose tool that has nearly everything you need in one tool. It has a pair of pliers, a knife, a bit driver, a bottle opener, and wire cutters. Moreover, this tool comes with a 25-year limited warranty.
Mobile Phone with Solar Charger
A mobile phone is a good gadget to have during emergencies. But, it will be useless if you cannot charge it when the power goes out. These situations can be remedied by a good solar charger.
The solar charger can also be used to power up your other gadgets at home. So, getting one for your emergency essentials kit will be a good idea.
Nekteck Portable Solar Panel Charger
- 【High-Efficieny】The high-efficiency of its three solar Monocrystalline panels cell is based on...
- 【Advanced Smart IC Chip Technology】 Microchip support to detects the electronic devices plugged...
- 【Portable and Foldable】The 6.3x 11.1x 1.06 inch (when folded ) small size and 17.3-ounce design...
- 【Dualable Design】The canvas surface and precision stitching withstand rugged for outdoor use and...
- 【Package】Nekteck 21W Solar Charging Panel, 2.6ft(80cm)Micro USB Cable, User Manual
The three solar panels of the Nekteck Portable Solar Panel Charger allows it to have a conversion efficiency of up to 24 percent. It can also detect electronic devices plugged into its port and can charge two phones at the same time.
Waterproof Flashlight and Extra Batteries
A waterproof flashlight is another item you should have in your emergency essentials kit. You should make sure the flashlight is small and easy to carry around.
In addition to the flashlight, you should also have a lot of extra batteries in the kit. You can also get rechargeable batteries for the flashlight and use your solar panel charger to charge them when they run out of juice.
For more details, check this out: Survival Lighting Guide.
Dorcy Waterproof Floating LED Flashlight
- Super Bright 200 Lumen LED Flashlight
- Durable impact resistant construction with shock absorbing rubber
- 17 hours of run time on 3 AA batteries (included)
- 200 lumens of power with a 67 meter beam
The Dorcy Waterproof Floating is a battery-powered LED Flashlight that is designed for durability. It features a shock-absorbing rubber to enhance its impact-resistant quality. Moreover, its bright 200-lumen light has a beam reaching up to 67 meters.
Battery-Powered or Hand-Crank Radio
Living in the middle of a disaster or a pandemic can be quite stressful, especially if you have no idea what’s going on around you. You can watch the news on television or check out news websites. But, this will not be possible if the power is out.
In these situations, you will need a battery-powered or hand-crank radio. This radio allows you to stay on top of what’s happening around you even if the power is out.
Kaito KA500 5-way Powered Radio
- 6-way powered portable emergency radio with hand crank generator, solar panel, compartment for 3 AA...
- Comprehensive coverage of AM, FM, 2-band shortwave and 7 pre-programmed NOAA weather channels for...
- Works as an emergency mobile battery charger with built-in standard DC 5V USB output port for...
- Telescopic antenna extends up to 14.5" for high sensitivity reception assisted by advanced...
- Made of strong premium impact-resistant and water-resistant ABS material, suitable for both indoors...
The Kaito KA500 Radio can be powered through a battery, hand crank, and a solar panel. It provides comprehensive AM, FM, short-wave, and NOAA weather channel coverage. Aside from the radio, it also has a flashlight and reading light.
A mobile phone is useful if communication lines are still up. But, if they go down during a disaster, the only way for you to communicate is through a two-way radio. This makes it important for your emergency essentials kit to have a two-way radio.
BaoFeng Dual Band Two Way Radio
- There are 128 channels 50 ctcss and 104 CDCSS dual-band display, Dual Freq
- Tri-color background light selectable: 0-9 grades vox selectable
- Keypad lock: channel step: 2.5/5/6.25/10/12.5/25Khz
- Emergency alert: 25Khz/12.5Khz switchable | LED flashlight: hight/low RF power switchable
- Support manually program. Easy to program via PC. Support chirp quick programming
The BaoFeng Dual Band Two Way Radio is a compact handheld transceiver with a frequency range of 136 to 174 MHz and 400 to 480 MHz. It features a micro-miniature multiband FM transceiver that provides local-area two-way amateur communications and an excellent monitoring capability.
#3: Emergency and medical supplies
Since the emergency essential kit is used for emergencies, it should also contain medical supplies you will need for any situation. These supplies include a first aid kit, masks, emergency blankets, and medicines. If you live in an area with poisonous or venomous snakes, you may want to consider having a special snake bite kit on hand.
First Aid Kit
It’s a no-brainer to have a first aid kit as one of your emergency essentials. You can treat a whole lot of small injuries and wounds with a first aid kit. The kit may also come with other emergency tools, such as a whistle, flashlight, and even a mask.
Of course, you’ll need a waterproof container to store it in too.
Rescue Guard First Aid Kit
- 72 HOUR SUSTAINABILITY - This Emergency Go Bag Contains The Essentials. After An Emergency The Most...
- HIGHEST-QUALITY ITEMS - Premium Items Tent, Ponchos, Rope, Light, First Aid Kit, Survival Compass,...
- PREMIUM EMERGENCY GO BAG: This Emergency Go Bag Contains Supplies For Four People To Survive A...
- FIRST AID KIT : After An Natural Disaster Health Care Providers May Not Be Able To Reach You For...
- BE COMFORTABLY PREPARED: Kids Feel Safe With Light, Our Squeeze Power Flashlight Generates Power And...
The Rescue Guard First Aid Kit is more than just an ordinary first aid kit since it also contains a tent, ponchos, a compass, thermal blankets, and a fire starting kit. It also has a LED flashlight and a good supply of MREs.
N95 or surgical masks
Masks are emergency essentials during a pandemic. Even if you’re not working in a hospital, it’s useful when you have to go on a grocery run. You wouldn’t want to breathe in the respiratory droplets from a person who may be infected.
But, N95 masks are hard to come by in a global pandemic. Due to this, you should look for a suitable alternative. You can buy a mask and a separate mask filter to provide a certain amount of protection for yourself.
La Volupte PM2.5 Activated Carbon Filter
- Black and red face cover
The La Volupte PM2.5 Activated Carbon Filter is actually a filter that you can use with a mask. This particular pack of 20 filters already comes with two masks. They are ideal for outdoor use and are suitable for both children and adults.
An emergency blanket is quite useful when heating is not available in the house following a natural disaster. They are also useful as a first-aid item for anyone who is going into shock. It will keep the body heat in and keep the cold out.
Primacare Emergency Foil Mylar Thermal Blanket
- Waterproof and weatherproof foil and Mylar emergency thermal blanket for retaining or deflecting...
- Mylar insert provides insulation and the foil cover can reflect heat back to the body or deflect...
- Mylar blanket is 52" long and 84" wide
- 10 Pack of emergency mylar thermal blankets
- A must have for first aid kits and emergency preparedness
The Primacare Emergency Foil Mylar Thermal Blanket is a weatherproof and waterproof thermal blanket used to retain and deflect heat. It is durable and compact. Moreover, each package has a total of 10 blankets each.
Medications and medical items
The last type of emergency and medical supplies you should have in your emergency essentials kit are medicines. These medicines should be the ones you or someone in the household regularly needs. You should also make sure to have a supply that can last up to seven days.
You can also include typical medicines you may need in case an issue comes up. These medicines include antacids, antihistamines, cough and cold medications, and anti-diarrhea medication, among others.
#4: Personal Items
Your personal items should also be included in your emergency essentials kit. These personal items include personal hygiene items, copies of important documents, such as passports and insurance policies, and contact information.
You should also have maps of the area where you’re living in the kit. It also would help if you include some extra cash in the kit for any unforeseen circumstances where you would need to pay for something.
An emergency essentials kit is much more than a simple first aid kit. It should include everything you think you may need to survive a natural disaster or a pandemic. If you don’t have an emergency essentials kit at home, you should start putting one together as soon as possible.
Have your Say about Emergency Essentials
What are some of your top picks for emergency essentials? Did we leave anything out from this list? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other people looking to stock up on emergency essentials find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-01-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API