Stocking up on food supplies for pandemic flu is a good idea especially if you’ll have to limit your grocery runs due to a quarantine. It’s not easy to list down the things you need while waiting for the all-clear sign from the authorities.
And of course, it’s entirely possible that you may have to quarantine or self-isolate at home for two weeks or even longer because of something like Covid-19.
Food Supplies for Pandemic Flu
Due to this, we listed some food supplies you may need in case you get stuck at home for a couple of weeks because of a quarantine situation. Check out the supply list below of food items to have on hand in case of a pandemic:
The first basic item you should stock up at home is water. A general rule is to have at least one gallon of water for every person in the household per day. Even if your household drinks water straight from the tap, you should still stock up on water in case the taps run dry.
To ensure you have enough water at home, you should have a suitable water container at home. In this case, you should consider getting the WaterStorageCube Collapsible Water Container.
WaterStorageCube Collapsible Water Container
- FOOD-GRADE ODORLESS GREAT TASTE: PE plastic made with highest quality USA raw material....
- LIGHT, COMPACT, PORTABLE AND REUSABLE Foldable space saving design store away easily. Remains soft...
- WORRY-FREE AND LEAK-PROOF Custom made lid and spigot with gasketless design means no leaks or parts...
- EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS AND DAILY USE Enables you quickly and safely store all the water your family...
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE AND EBOOK INCLUDED If for any reason within 30 days you're not satisfied,...
The WaterStorageCube Collapsible Water Container is a compact and portable water container made of BPA-free material. Each pack gives you two 5.3-gallon containers, which means you can store five days’ worth of water for two people.
Moreover, you can easily dispense water through its spigot.
Or, you may want to consider picking up a device to desalinate water.
Aside from water, another item you should have at home is milk. It is a good source of calcium and vitamin D. Your milk supply may not be refrigerated as long as it has a long shelf life. With this in mind, you may want to get the Dry Milk Powder from Prescribed for Life for your home. It’s one of best food supplies to get your through a quarantine in style!
Dry Milk Powder from Prescribed for Life
- USDA GRADE A WHOLE MILK: Prescribed for Life milk powder is completely hormone free (rBST & rBGH...
- 100% NATURAL: Our powdered milk is safe for pregnant and nursing mothers. Full of vitamins and...
- DIRECTIONS: Add 1 cup of dried milk powder into 4 cups of water to make 1 quart of instant milk to...
- EXCELLENT FOR BAKING: Try powdered milk in your favorite bread recipes for added flavor, tenderness...
- GREAT TASTING, SHELF STABLE MILK: Keep your pantry prepared for a natural disaster or emergency with...
Dry Milk Powder from Prescribed for Life is 100 percent natural and has a long shelf life. Aside from being your source of vitamins and minerals, it is also a good source of high-quality proteins. Moreover, this item can also be used for baking.
#3: Canned Meat
Canned meat is a basic supply you should have at home. They last long and are versatile. You can eat them as is or combine the meat with other ingredients to make a different meal. Since there are numerous options available for you, we listed some canned meat you can consider getting for your home.
Walnut Creek All-Natural Pork Chunks from Amish Tastes
- Easy preparation - simply heat & serve
- Made with minimal processing during the packing process
- Premium canned meat from Walnut Creek Foods in the heart of Ohio's Amish community
- Stores for a year or more
- Buy in bulk and save!
You only need to heat the Walnut Creek All-Natural Pork Chunks from Amish Tastes before you serve it. It is made of premium meat and can last for at least a year when stored properly.
Spam Hickory Smoke Flavored
Even as the Spam Hickory Smoke Flavored is ready to eat, you can also fry or bake it. Additionally, you can cook the meat in a microwave.
Redhead Wild Alaska Sockeye Salmon
- No salt added canned wild Alaska Redhead sockeye salmon
The Redhead Wild Alaska Sockeye Salmon does not have any salt added and has a long shelf life. You can eat as it is or combine it with other ingredients to make salads, sandwiches, or salmon burgers.
Lobster Bisque from Maine Lobster Now
- Includes 4-16oz containers
- Each 16oz Package Contains 2oz of Lobster Meat
- Local Recipe
- Warm & Enjoy
Do you love lobsters? In this case, you should get the Lobster Bisque from Maine Lobster Now. Each pack gives you four 16-ounce container of lobster bisque. Aside from the lobster meat, its primary base is made of lobster stock.
These are just some of your canned meat options you should store in your home during a pandemic.
#4: Canned Vegetables
Similar to canned meat, canned vegetables also last a long time. Due to this, stocking up on these items is advisable so you won’t have to go out often to buy groceries during a pandemic flu outbreak. You can check out the following food supplies you may want to get in your next grocery run. They’ll also help to keep your immune system strong so you can avoid getting sick.
La Torrente Datterini Tomatoes
- Datterini tomatoes are famous for their rich, sweet taste and inviting aroma.
- The perfect tomatoes to make a delicious homemade sauce to pair with pasta, fish, vegetables,...
- Rich in Vitamins and Minerals
- 100% Italian Tomatoes
- Product of Italy
Do you want to add flavor to your dishes while waiting out the pandemic? Then, you should stock up on the La Torrente Datterini Tomatoes. Its rich and sweet taste will allow you to make your own sauce for pasta, fish, and other dishes.
Batchelors Marrowfat Bigga Peas
- Bundle of 6 Batchelors Marrowfat Bigga Peas 300g x 6 Tins Delivers 3 - 5 Days USA
The Batchelors Marrowfat Bigga Peas are larger than the usual size of a garden pea. So, you get more for your purchase. Moreover, each pack gives you six 300-gram tins of peas.
Italian Grilled Vegetable Mix by Menu
The Italian Grilled Vegetable Mix by Menu consists of grilled peppers, eggplants, and zucchinis. You can use them as a side dish in any meal. You can also combine it with pasta or use it as topping for pizza.
There are more options available in the market depending on your preference.
#5: Pasta, Bread, and Brown Rice
For your carbohydrate requirements, you may stock up on pasta, bread, and brown rice at home. You can use them as a side dish or add ingredients to make them your main meal. We came up with a couple of suggestions you may want to add to your cart.
Barilla Fettuccine Pasta
- Barilla fettuccine pasta is made with 100% non-GMO durum wheat semolina
- Barilla brings you traditional al dente pasta in just 12-13 minutes
- Delicious Kosher certified pasta perfect for anyone with dietary or allergy restrictions. Barilla...
- Fettuccine is the perfect sauce to pair with any of your favorite sauces, light or robust
- Barilla pasta stands for quality and a perfectly "al dente" pasta texture every time
This pasta can be used with a variety of pasta sauces. This Kosher-certified pasta is ideal for anyone with allergies or dietary restrictions. Moreover, each purchase comes in a pack of eight.
Whole Wheat Smart Pockets Pita Bread from Toufayan Bakery
- PREMIUM QUALITY – You asked and we delivered! The most wholesome, convenient and soft pocket pita...
- NUTRITIONAL FACTS – Toufayan Smart Pockets are only 100 calories! Low calorie, zero trans fats,...
- DELICIOUS & VERSATILE – Convenient and versatile. Healthy pita pockets for the entire family –...
- HOW TO USE - Unopened packages can be frozen for up tp 8 months. Thaw frozen packages for 2-3 hours....
- WHAT’S INCLUDED – Includes 3 packages of Whole Wheat Smart Pockets, total of 18 Whole Wheat...
The Whole Wheat Smart Pockets Pita Bread from Toufayan Bakery is a low-calorie, zero-transfat whole wheat pita bread. It also makes it easy for you to make sandwiches you can enjoy any time. Additionally, you can store an unopened package frozen for up to eight months.
10 Pound Brown Rice from Congaree and Penn Farm and Mills
The 10 Pound Brown Rice from Congaree and Penn Farm and Mills is freshly-milled rice with high moisture content. The high moisture content of the rice allows it to cook quickly.
#6: Nuts and Dried Fruits
You should also stock up on nuts and dried fruits since they are good sources of fiber, iron, omega-3, and antioxidants. There are several options when it comes to nuts and dried fruits you can consider, including walnuts, almonds, raisins, apricots, and prunes.
Deluxe Mixed Nuts from Treasured Harvest
- TWIN PACK - In Shell Deluxe Mixed Nuts
- 2/32 oz. Ziplock Bags
- Treasured Harvest Brand
- Paced Fresh - Shipped Fast
- In Shell Nuts
To mix things up in your nut supply, you can get the Deluxe Mixed Nuts from Treasured Harvest. These in-shell nuts come in different varieties, including hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, and pecans. Moreover, you get two packs for each purchase.
Oh! Nuts Macadamia Nuts
- Delectable Perfectly Roasted Madamia Nuts in Single Serve Snack Bags
- Macsdmians provide protein, iron, vitamin A, thiamine, riboflavin, selenium, calcium and other...
- One dozen nut snack packs at affordable healthy snacking prices makes healing your diet plan a cinch
- Nuts are perfect for those on restricted or health-conscious diets: vegan, sugar free, weight loss,...
- Slow roasted, evenly seasoned, made of quality nuts and packed fresh, these nuts are delicious
If you prefer snack-size macadamia nuts, you can get the Oh! Nuts Macadamia Nuts. These roasted macadamia nuts come in single-serve bags and are perfect for health-conscious individuals.
Organic Sun Dried California Raisins from Sun Maid
If raisins are more of your thing, you can store some Organic Sun Dried California Raisins in your pantry. You get two bags weighing two pounds with each purchase.
Dried Mandarin Oranges from Paradise Green
Healthy snacking is possible with the vitamin C you get from the Dried Mandarin Oranges from Paradise Green. You can even use them to make chocolate-covered oranges while waiting out a pandemic.
#7: Beans and Legumes
Beans and legumes not only have a long shelf life, but they are also good sources of nutrients. You can mix them with pasta and salads. Moreover, you can also use them in stews and soups.
Garbanzo Beans from Food to Live
- Garbanzo Beans, a.k.a. chickpeas are a healthy addition to any diet due to their nutritious value.
- High fiber content of Garbanzo Beans makes them an effective aid in weight loss programs.
- Food to Live Garbanzo Beans are delicious and natural. Free from additives.
- Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas) give your body essential minerals and a boost of folate.
- A great protein-rich food for vegans and vegetarians who want to maintain a healthy diet.
These beans are natural and do not have any additives. It provides the nutrition you need for a healthy diet. Additionally, its high fiber content is ideal for you if you want to lose weight.
Brown Lentils from Joseph’s Grainery
- Non-GMO, Kosher Certified
- all natural, thoroughly cleaned
- excellent source of protien
- From Our Farm To Your Table
- no preservatives
The Brown Lentils from Joseph’s Grainery can be another source of protein for your diet. These all-natural legumes have no preservatives and can be used on stews or soups. You can store it in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
#8: High-fiber Cereal
High-fiber cereal can be your go-to mini-meal during a pandemic. Aside from being a good source of fiber, they also give you a suitable amount of protein during these situations.
Peanut Butter Cluster from Julian Bakery
- Delicious, Crunchy High Protein Granola Cereal (Gluten Free, Grain Free, Soy Free, Low Net Carb)
- 1 Serving (Approx 1/2 Cup) = 110 Calories, 12g Egg White Protein & 2 Net Carbs
- Low Carb, High Fiber, and High In Protein (14 Servings Approx 1/2 Cup) (GMO Free)
- Delicious, Crunchy, Chocolate Taste That Curbs Appetite Without Bloating (No IMO) (Probiotic Soluble...
- Keto Friendly, Organic Seeds, No Junk ( 0g Sugar : Monk Fruit Extract Sweetened)
Looking for gluten-free cereal, then the Peanut Butter Cluster from Julian Bakery is the one for you. In addition to its high-fiber content, it also has a high-protein content but low in carbohydrates. Moreover, it’s keto-friendly and ideal for anyone watching their diet.
Organic Steel Cut Oats from Food to Live
- HEALTHY CRUSHED GRAIN: Organic Steel Cut Oats are one of the healthiest grains rich in protein and...
- SOURCE OF ESSENTIAL MINERALS: Cooked Organic Steel Cut Oats give you calcium, iron, magnesium, and...
- EASY TO COOK: Due to the small size of the pieces Organic Steel Cut Oats cooked much faster than...
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Organic Steel Cut Oats from Food To Live are non-GMO and safe for everyone. They...
- GREAT SOURCE OF ENERGY: One serving of cooked Organic Steel Cut Oats will fuel your body for hours.
The Organic Steel Cut Oats from Food to Live is rich in fiber and protein. It’s also a good source of essential minerals, including iron, calcium, and zinc. In addition, you only have to store them in a sealed container away from direct sunlight.
#9: Nut butter
Nut butter is a great source of protein that you can pair with different food items, including bananas, bread, and crackers. You have several options on the type of nut butter you can have at home depending on your needs.
Creamy Almond Butter from Kirkland Signature
- Creamy almond butter
- Made with roasted almonds
- All-natural almond butter
- Smooth and unsalted
The Creamy Almond Butter from Kirkland Signature is made of carefully-roasted almonds that are ground to make sweet and creamy almond butter. Since it goes through gentle processing during production, it still maintains its nutritional value, making it one of the best food supplies for a pandemic.
Fastachi Roasted Cashew Butter
- ALL-NATURAL: Incredibly Delicious, Smooth And Tasty, Fastachi's Roasted Nut Butters Will Get You...
- HAND ROASTED: In Fastachi Tradition, We Roast Our Nuts By Hand, In Small Batches, To Their Flavor...
- MULTIPLE USES: Fastachi's Nut Butter Can Be Used As Spreads, In Sandwiches, As A Dip, And Make A...
- FRESH CASHEWS: roasted in peanut oil ground into fresh nut butter in small batches
- MADE TO ORDER: We Then Grind Them Into Nut Butters Upon Receipt Of An Order - Nothing Else Added.
If you want freshly-roasted cashew butter, then the Fastachi Roasted Cashew Butter is what you’re looking for. The cashew is roasted two days before it is shipped and ground into cashew butter right before shipping.
Eggs should be included in the list since you can do a lot of things with eggs. You can eat them as they are or mix them in a variety of dishes. So, it is essential to have a good inventory of eggs in your home. As far as food supplies for a pandemic flu go, they are certainly perishable. However, if you buy them fresh, they will last for a good amount of time in the fridge.
Since there are no hard-and-fast rules on the food supplies you need for pandemic flu, you should consider your situation before you finalize your grocery list. Moreover, you should also consider the needs of the other members of the household to ensure everything is covered.
Have your Say about Food Supplies for Pandemic Flu
Do you have any food supplies that you’d like to add to this list? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other people preparing food supplies for a pandemic find this useful resource.
Last update on 2020-05-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API