If you turn on your television, you’ll likely see news of the pandemic affecting everyone around the world. Following the declaration by the World Health Organization (WHO) of the global coronavirus pandemic, people have been looking for ways to survive and get on with their daily lives.
But, the situation is not you’re a typical disaster that can last for a few weeks. Lockdowns were implemented in different parts of the globe to stave off the spread of the virus. While it might not be easy, there are some things you can do to survive a pandemic.
How to Survive a Pandemic: Top 10 Tips
The following are the things you can do so you will make it through and move on with your life. Of course, it’s better to avoid getting sick in the first place. Here are some of the ways to do: How to Prevent Coronavirus.
#1: Don’t Panic
This is probably the first thing you should keep in mind. You should avoid panicking so you won’t end up doing things that you’re not supposed to do in the first place. Even though your initial reaction is fear, you should try to calm your nerves.
By keeping calm, you will become aware of the situation and act accordingly. Keep in mind that if you’re anxious, you may end up more vulnerable to viruses. Stress can dull your immune response.
At this point, you may want to avoid watching the news in the meantime. The news will be a good source of information, but you should first unplug yourself and rest for a while.
#2: Stay Informed
After you have collected yourself, you may want to know the latest developments in the pandemic. At this point, you should also wait for updates from the authorities. This allows you to make informed decisions on what you’re going to do next.
You can also watch the news to get more information. But, you should not get too engrossed with the news so you will not have another panic attack.
#3: Be Wary of Misinformation
Even though you may want to know what’s happening during a pandemic, you should also be wary of getting the wrong information. During these situations, you cannot discount the possibility of people wanting to profit from it. So, it is essential to be able to discern what is true and what is untrue.
To be able to get the right information, you may want to research and check other sources. You can check if the source of the information is credible. Additionally, you can also conduct quick research about the information provided in the reports.
#4: Evaluate the Situation
With the information you obtained, you can already assess the situation. The situation will determine what you need to do. So, you should plan for anything that may happen during the pandemic.
- The plans you’re making should consider different situations:
- Plan for the possibility that one or more members of the household will get sick.
- Prepare for any disruption of essential services in the area
- Ensure you have a stock of prescription medicines at home
- Have a printed or hard copy of the medical records of all members of the household
- Ensure your first aid kit is complete. The first aid kit should also contain non-prescription medication in case anyone in the household needs it.
- Have a ready stock of cleaning supplies at home.
#5: How to Survive a Pandemic, 3 Important Tips
#6: Stock up on Supplies
When you already have plans for different situations, you should ensure you have a good supply of essentials at home. These essentials include food, personal protective equipment, cleaning supplies, and medication.
The food supply should be enough to last a couple of weeks for each member of the household. You also include water in your list. Moreover, a means to purify or clean the water should also be included in your list of supplies to get. Here’s something to get you started: Emergency Supply List.
#7: Have a Supply of Personal Protective Equipment
In addition to food, you should also stock up on personal protective equipment. This equipment will help you avoid getting sick because of the virus. When you say protective equipment, it means a mask, goggles, gloves, and duct tape.
Here are some options you can consider if you’re looking for some protective equipment in the market:
A mask is a basic protective item that you should stock up during a pandemic. It protects you from inhaling harmful substances that can make you sick. They also serve to remind you to avoid touching your face while you’re outside the house to avoid getting infected.
The following are your options if you’re still planning to buy masks for a pandemic
Disposable Face Masks
This pack of Disposable Face Masks consists of 50 pieces. They have a three-ply construction designed to protect you from pandemic viruses and bacterial infection.
Keep in mind that these are one-time use masks. Due to this, you need to use a new one if you have to leave the house every day.
- Niosh approved N95 for at least 95% filtration efficiency against certain non-oil based particles...
- 3M cool flow valve helps reduce heat buildup inside the respirator
- Breathe 30% easier compared to 3M 8200, breathe easier is defined as an initial pressure drop
- Adjustable M noseclip helps ensure a custom, secure seal with fewer pressure points
- For workplace/occupational use only
The N95 Mask from 3M has a 95 percent filtration efficiency against non-oil-based particles. It is also lightweight and comfortable to wear. The mask also features an adjustable nose clip to ensure a secure seal while wearing it.
Since the droplets carrying the virus are unseen, wearing a pair of goggles prevents it from entering the cavities of your eyes. It is ideal for anyone caring for a person sick from the virus. The following are some options you can consider when looking for a pair of goggles.
Gateway Safety Cover2 Safety Glasses
- One-piece polycarbonate lens fits over most prescription glasses
- Lightweight design, with adjustable length temples for a customized fit
- Flexible temple tips minimize pinching behind the head
- Meets ANSI Z87.1+ and CSA Z94.3 impact standards
- Ideal for indoor and general purpose applications
Lightweight and durable, the Gateway Safety Cover2 Safety Glasses is a cost-effective way of protecting your eyes. It has an over-the-glasses design that makes it comfortable to use even for people who wear eyeglasses.
These goggles also have an adjustable length temple for a more customized fit.
Honeywell Ultra-spec Standard Safety Glasses
- IDEAL VISITOR SPECS: Ultra-Spec Safety Glasses are ideal for use by office workers entering the...
- SAFETY & COMFORT: Wraparound uni-lens design and built-in side shields protect against flying...
- LONG-LASTING DURABILITY: Made of 100% Polycarbonate material for durability; coatings are...
- ANTI-FOG AND ANTI-SCRATCH LENS COATING OPTIONS: Choose the Uvextreme lens coating for excellent...
- MULTIPLE LENS TINTS FOR DIFFERENT WORK ENVIRONMENTS: Clear lens is suitable for most work...
The Honeywell Ultra-spec Standard Safety Glasses are made of durable 100-percent polycarbonate material. It features a wraparound uni-length design for maximum protection.
It also has adjustable temples that offer better fit and comfort for its users.
To protect your hands from possible contamination, you may opt to wear gloves while on a grocery run. If you’re not a healthcare professional who examines patients, a pair of non-sterile nitrile gloves will be good enough for your needs.
We found the following gloves that you can buy for your personal use.
Medical Blue Nitrile Gloves
- All of our products will have an updated look in coming months. You may continue to see previous...
- Nitrile exam gloves offer added dexterity and sensitivity for daily tasks including non-sterile...
- Ideal for non-surgical medical, food handling, electronics, light industrial, and lab applications....
- Latex-free examination gloves are ideal for those allergic to natural rubber.
- AMMEX Professional offers a range of exam-grade light-duty gloves in nitrile, vinyl, and latex that...
These Gloves are made of lightweight material that provides suitable protection for its users. These medical-grade gloves are ideal for food handling and laboratory applications. They feature textured fingertips to enhance your grip.
AMMEX X3 Industrial Blue Nitrile Gloves
- All of our products will have an updated look in coming months. You may continue to see previous...
- Nitrile industrial gloves offer excellent elasticity and tactile sensitivity. Nitrile delivers a...
- Popular in industries from jan/san to auto detailing to food service, they are also well-suited for...
- Latex-free nitrile gloves are ideal for those allergic to natural rubber.
- X3 nitrile, vinyl, latex, and poly industrial gloves provide dependable hand protection for...
Despite their elasticity, the AMMEX X3 Industrial Blue Nitrile Gloves are puncture and chemical resistant. These industrial-grade gloves are chlorinated and latex-free. Take note that these are single-use gloves so you have to dispose of them after you use them.
You may be wondering why duct tape is considered protective equipment. Well, these are mainly used to seal off windows and doorways so you can set up a quarantined safe room. They can also be used as an outdoor survival tool.
To make things easy for you, we found the following duct tape brands you can consider buying.
3M Multi-Use Duct Tape
- Multi-Use tape with strong adhesive to create a secure bond
- Great for bundling, taping cords, patching, reinforcing and more
- Suitable for temporary repairs
- Excellent strength for durability
- Tears vertically and horizontally for versatile application
Produced by a reliable and world-renowned company, the 3M Multi-Use Duct Tape creates a strong bond through its strong adhesive. It is ideal for repairs, patching, and reinforcing, among others. Moreover, it is durable and designed to last.
3M All-Weather Duct Tape
- Great for patching, repairing outdoor items and reinforcing tools
- Powerful adhesive creates a long-lasting bond on contact
- Suitable for long-lasting repairs
- Premium strength for durability
- Flexible design creates a tight seal for excellent patching
The 3M All-Weather Duct Tape is designed for outdoor use and long-lasting repairs. Its premium strength adhesive equates to durability and strong bonds. This duct tape also has a flexible design to create tight seals.
#8 How to Survive a Pandemic: Adjust Your Daily Routine
If you’re in the middle of a pandemic, you cannot expect your life to be the same before it happened. Due to this, you should make adjustments to your lifestyle to avoid getting infected. While this sudden changes in your routine may be jarring, you can bring your groove back if you outline the things you need to do every day.
Creating a list of the things you need to accomplish for the day can be a start. Since you will likely stay at home during the pandemic, you should try to make a daily routine to keep yourself occupied. If you’re working at home, your work will be a part of this routine.
You should also try to follow this routine and add breaks every so often. These breaks will take off some of the stress you may feel while staying at home the whole day. Following a routine is also good for your mental health since it gives you a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day.
#9: Stay At Home
The last thing you can do to survive a pandemic, but not necessarily the least, is to stay at home. You will not get infected if you stay home. This has been the advice of medical professionals after the pandemic started.
If there’s a need for you to go out to buy groceries, you should use your protective equipment. You should also observe social distancing while you’re outside. Or you should stay around six feet away from another person.
Social distancing is essential to avoid getting the virus. This is particularly true if someone is sneezing or coughing close to you. After your grocery run, immediately go back home and change your clothing. You should also wash your hands or take a bath right after you reach home.
A pandemic may be a frightening situation for everyone, but if you know the things you need to do, you have a bigger chance of riding it out.
#10: How to Survive a Pandemic, According to Science
Have your Say about How to Survive a Pandemic
Do you have any tips or tricks for us about how to survive a pandemic like Covid-19? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other people, like yourself prepare for a crisis like this.
Last update on 2021-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API